Friday, October 3, 2014

A passion for trains: The Thunder Mountain line in Idaho

A passion for trains: The Thunder Mountain line in Idaho

A passion for trains: The Thunder Mountain line in Idaho

Posted: 03 Oct 2014 10:30 AM PDT

The southwest is the place where the Thunder Mountain Line indulges travelers. Horseshoe Bend, Idaho to be precise; the line has theme and dinner rides that one will want to become a gold prospector once you take one of their many scenic rides with breath taking scenes of the Payette river and the Boise National Forest mountain ridge.

The original Idaho Northern railroad dates back to 1897; the area's gold fever; making the wild west one of the most popular rides with actors 'running away from the law' and sheriffs searching the train for robbers.

During my rides, which included a special one during The North Fork Championship kayak tournament on the North Fork of the Payette River; I experienced both the scenery and the thrill of an old train ride with food and drinks. Debbie Duran, the train manager told me that "the North Fork championship ride sold out over night and that it was the first time it was featured" Duran also told me that the ride doesn't usually go up that far up the mountain which made the ride even more special.

It may not be a speedy train ride but it sure is scenic and relaxing especially when one takes the wine dinner ride featuring some of Idaho's wineries. Rafters, kayakers and people camping wave at the people on the ride and one wonders who is having the most fun. I remember when I took the Smith Ferry ride. I saw kids running along side the train in the country side and it reminded me of kids in a third world country waiting for the thrill of the week as the train would pass by.

Trains are special in many ways; may it be because of their speed, the only way of traveling at times, the scenery, the sense of going back in time or going 'back to the future' as some state of the art trains may be. The fact is that trains are fun no matter if they are just a toy train in winter wonderland or if one is actually riding one!

#EbolaQandA

Posted: 03 Oct 2014 10:22 AM PDT

Can Ebola survive on surfaces such as door handles and glass windows? If somebody sneezes, can I contract Ebola that way?

Instagram video from @papadary

Ebola in the Fast Food Industry

Posted: 02 Oct 2014 02:51 PM PDT

"As a fastfood worker, I get a lot of customers who come from the airport. How do I know if the person infected with Ebola came and transferred it to someone else."

How are we tracking the spread of ebola?

Posted: 02 Oct 2014 02:51 PM PDT

I'm curious to hear if and how tech innovations such as apps, health trackers, or larger health mapping initiatives are being used to track the spread of Ebola. We have access to much more technology and information now more than ever, and it seems to me that we can use those tools to help prevent the spread of diseases like this in the future.

Ebola

Posted: 02 Oct 2014 02:20 PM PDT

Shouldn't we consider a 21 day quarantine to anyone coming to the US from Ebola infected areas before allowing entry? Wouldn't that keep us protected as much as possible.

EBOLA QUESTION

Posted: 02 Oct 2014 01:40 PM PDT

My name is Brenda Olson and I am a CNN iReporter from New Hampton, New Hampshire.

My  question is: Why are people possibly exposed to Ebola allowed to enter the United States without being tested and/or quarantined for a period of time to prevent the virus from spreading?

Thank you.