Friday, September 5, 2014

Apocalyptic scene in San Francisco

Apocalyptic scene in San Francisco

Apocalyptic scene in San Francisco

Posted: 04 Sep 2014 09:16 PM PDT

On Thursday September 4th at approx.1pm a fire broke out in one of San Francisco's most diverse neighborhoods. The fire occurred at one of the many stores in that neighborhood, but what is most disconcerting is that the local news channel NBC captured a bite from San Francisco Fire Dept. Chief Joanne Hayes-White. She said. "The business were cited in both 2009 and 2013 for fire code violations, and in both instances, the business were able to correct the violation for follow-up inspections."This fire has been named the #MissionFire on social media has displaced many residents, injured firefighters, and caused a major disaster in an already embattled neighborhood. San Francisco Fire Department collectively can output at least 1,250 gallons of water per minute. The MissionFire has gone on for at least 6 hours. California is experiencing major drought, so million gallon fires could be quickly draining resources. The #MissionFire was toxic and huge.

Freighter 'American Spirit' stuck near Straits of Mackinac

Posted: 04 Sep 2014 05:54 PM PDT

The freighter 'American Spirit' is currently stuck in a passage between Round Island, MI and Mackinac Island, MI. The freighter is 304.81 meters long.

Drone Storm Chasing

Posted: 04 Sep 2014 05:13 PM PDT

Approaching storm on the west coast of Florida was all caught on a drone and a GoPro.

Joan Rivers story

Posted: 04 Sep 2014 01:43 PM PDT

I was boarding a flight from NY to LA many years ago, and as I walked down the aisle, I could see there was someone - a small woman - sitting in my seat. I prefer the window, so I was a little annoyed at this until I saw who it was. Yes, Joan Rivers herself. She looked up at me and, with that iconic gravelly voice, said, "Do you mind if I stay here, I'm already spread out?" And she was. Papers everywhere. Of course, I agreed and then sat down for one of the most delightful 6 hours I have ever spent in my life. She was fun, she was witty, she was snarky, but what I remember most about her was how she lit up when she talked about her daughter. This woman famous for her cranky bitchiness, just melted when she talked about Melissa. It was so sweet. I'll cherish that day forever.

Seattle Superbowl Fans Prep for New Season

Posted: 04 Sep 2014 01:29 PM PDT

"Big game hunting" has begun as the defending NFL Superbowl champs, the Seattle Seahawks, take the field to begin their quest for a repeat.

Like Mike Ditka's legendary and dominating 1985-86 Chicago Bears that shuffled into the Superbowl, the current Seahawks roster has a lot of weapons, both on offense and defense. A relatively young team, most players were not even born yet when Bears crowd-pleaser William "The Fridge" Perry plowed into his foes, and also the end zone.

And while 11 players take to the field, it is the "12th Man" that makes the most noise. The 12th Man, those raucous face-painted fans who pay $500 a piece for so-so seats, $80 for a parking spot, and nine bucks per beer, seem to help carry the ball across the goal line. Fair weather fans intermingle with hard core fans in a town where the weather is often unfair to both.

The term "12th Man" was used in The Minnesota Magazine, the University of Minnesota newspaper, September, 1900.

Referring to their Golden Gophers, an editorial stated, "But the greatest of all college sports is just commencing and Minnesota among the rest is organizing her football team. A team that we hope is to carry off the honors in the coming games.

"It has taken many years of hard defeats to teach us that a team must be supported to come out on top and this must not be lost sight of this year., The mysterious influence of the twelfth man on the team, the rooter, should be as great as any of the rest."

In Seattle, this "mysterious influence," with it madness and mayhem, might help bring another Superbowl victory to a small, quaint city once known best for its coffee grinds and grunge bands. Nowadays, the Emerald City smells like "team" spirit, as the Seahawks send its countless fans into nirvana.

Story & Photos by Steve Shay

(Full disclosure: These photos were taken just before the pre-season Seahawks home game when they went on to beat Chicago. Let's hope The Fridge wasn't watching.)

My husband's passing

Posted: 04 Sep 2014 12:30 PM PDT

My husband had a procedure done in a hospital and never recovered. I felt as though I was in the room with the family, asking and wondering how does this happen. Listening and watching the machines, and then having to make that decision. My thoughts, prayers and condolences go out to the family.