Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Solidarity for Mike Brown in Eugene, Oregon!

Solidarity for Mike Brown in Eugene, Oregon!

Solidarity for Mike Brown in Eugene, Oregon!

Posted: 20 Aug 2014 09:35 AM PDT

The students of the University of Oregon hosted a vigil for Mike Brown on August 14 at 7pm. The candle light gathering started at 7pm and then we continued with a march of silence to downtown Eugene. At the end of the march we shared comments, sang the Black National Anthem and had a 3 minute moment of silence in honor of those who are victims to senseless shootings. The dress code suggested was all black attire or a black bandanna on your left arm. It was encouraged to show solidarity. Students, faculty, community members and news stations were in attendance.

My personal belief of what is occurring in Ferguson is below. I have also expressed my opinion on my Twitter (@pollyirungu).

I am just so moved when people from all walks of life can join together. Unfortunately, history is repeating itself all over again. What happened in the 50s, 60s is still occurring in 2014. What we can not do is just sit back behind a computer and watch it occur. Be PROACTIVE. "BE THE CHANGE you wish to see in the world". I am SO proud of Patrick Lamarr Kindred and all those who planned the vigil. You MADE IT HAPPEN (and in less than two days). This shooting is bigger than Mike Brown. It is bigger than Trayvon Martin. It is bigger than all those who did not make national headlines. As an aspiring journalist, It was crazy to see the people I have met or look up to get censored while reporting in #Ferguson. So you know when that happens...WE have to step up and cover it. We all have the power to control what we want to see in mainstream media. Social media is such a powerful tool. I mean #SaveOurGirls for example came to light because of social media. How many people have seen the #HowardU #HandsUPDontShoot photo? Or the #IfTheyGunnedMeDown posts? Exactly. We all have the power to MAKE IT HAPPEN with just one touch.

We can not let the REAL issue disappear just because mainstream media gets tired of it. JUSTICE needs to happen. At the end of the day, there was a police officer who ABUSED his power and OVER-KILLED an unarmed black man in the streets of Ferguson. It does NOT matter if Mike Brown was a "robbery suspect" (footage shows he paid) because PEOPLE are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. He was UNARMED and SHOT 6 TIMES then LEFT IN THE STREETS for HOURS!!! How is a HUMAN being TREATED BETTER THAN AN ANIMAL?! Someone please explain to me how this is OK. The officer responsible for killing Mike Brown needs to be arrested for murder.

I am waiting for more facts to emerge until then that is how I feel. Please no negative comments. We can agree to disagree. #ItTakesAVillage #SpreadLOVE

Photo cred: Polly Irungu.

Salute to William Micheal Snyder

Posted: 20 Aug 2014 07:46 AM PDT

I'd like to salute to my brother William Micheal Snyder E4 Specialist, Squad leader, MOS is 11c mortarman. Currently located at Ft. Riley Army Post in Kansas. He has been serving in the military just over 6 years. He has served 2 tours in Afghanistan. I am beyond proud of him and the men serving beside him for everything they do to protect us!

Police, not protesters, engaging in "senseless violence"

Posted: 19 Aug 2014 11:08 AM PDT

My comment as a resident of St. Louis, MO who has witnessed the protests firsthand: The (mostly white) commentators in the media have been decrying the "senseless violence" of protesters in Ferguson, Mo. What we are witnessing in Ferguson is not "senseless violence". It is a rational reaction to the actual senseless violence perpetrated by the cops on innumerable young black men. Black people have the right to fight back against those who are killing their children, and white people do not have the right to tell black people how they should feel or react to being repeatedly being victimized by the senseless violence perpetrated by racist white police.

Lightning show in the backyard

Posted: 19 Aug 2014 09:37 AM PDT

I set up my go pro on a time release to capture this storm, which produced a lot of lightning.

Tokyo Cools Down with Water Festival

Posted: 18 Aug 2014 11:38 AM PDT

Heading out in my local neighbourhood this weekend and I caught one of Tokyo's most interesting and fun festivals. Where usually Japanese festivals involve portable shrines being carried through the town, this festival had a fun summery twist! The shire carriers were doused with gallons on water! Even Tokyo's firefighters took to the streets to douse the festival participants.

Tokyo Gets Wet with Water Festival

Posted: 18 Aug 2014 11:30 AM PDT

Georgia family's silent protest for Michael Brown

Posted: 17 Aug 2014 11:47 PM PDT

In support of Michael Brown's family...bringing the protest and awareness to my home and my children.

Salute to MSgt Jessie Terry III

Posted: 15 Aug 2014 02:27 PM PDT

I want to salute my husband, MSgt Jessie T Terry III! At the end of Aug, he will retire after 24 years in the USAF! He is the most amazing man I know & has given his all to this awesome country! When he isn't deployed he is serving his local community by volunteering with local children groups, special Olympics, and restoring military plans at our local museum. Our son and I want to salute him for being a great father, husband, and airman!