Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Paramount Studios, 1970s: A little girl watches Mork & Mindy

Paramount Studios, 1970s: A little girl watches Mork & Mindy

Paramount Studios, 1970s: A little girl watches Mork & Mindy

Posted: 12 Aug 2014 10:33 PM PDT

I remember the first time I met Robin Williams. I was a young girl (in the late 70s...can't quite remember the year) and my aunt, was working at Paramount Pictures. She got us tickets to see a taping of Mork & Mindy. He was so funny and had the audience laughing hysterically even when the cameras were not rolling. After the show, all of us kids in the audience stood against the rails in front of the set asking for autographs. Robin Williams was the only cast member to hang around signing autographs. And with a sense of humor and smile that lit up the sky! He was an amazing actor and human being. I was lucky enough to meet him twice during his lifetime. Twenty some years later when I met him again, he had not changed! I was trying to get my SAG card and was working on the set of Father's Day, this time as a grown woman. Robin Williams was warm, funny and humble and stopped to pose for a photo with me in between scenes.

RIP, Mr. Williams. Thank you for making such a big impression on such a little girl. You were a true artist and gentleman!

Robin Williams

Posted: 12 Aug 2014 07:38 PM PDT

In 1996 I had the pleasure of working on a film with Robin and Billy Crystal called Father's Day. While we were in Reno Nevada my son was on the set with his 4 foot tall Genie puppet from the movie Aladdin. Robin walked out of his trailer and saw the puppet and like nothing I had ever seen picked it up put it on his arm and did an impromptu puppet show for not only my son but 300 people who gathered in the parking lot to watch. It was one of the most spontaneous and magical things I had never seen a true superstar do. The young man in the photo is my note 20-year-old son Tyler Webb Sent from my iPhone

Flooding Near The Villages of Marlboro

Posted: 12 Aug 2014 03:05 PM PDT

Following a full day of light and heavy rain, local streams in the town of Upper Marlboro overflowed their banks. The flooding cut off a major intersection between John Rodgers Blvd and Md 725, and a car which attempted to cross the swift moving water was trapped.

ONE SOLDIER'S REACTION TO ROBIN WILLIAMS DEATH

Posted: 12 Aug 2014 02:03 AM PDT

SOLDIER'S REACTION TO ROBIN WILLIAMS DEATH
R.I.P - ROBIN WILLIAMS - YOU WILL TRULY BE MISSED!

Robin Williams visit to the USS Truman 2004

Posted: 11 Aug 2014 10:07 PM PDT

Robin Williams visited the USS Harry S. Truman as part of a USO comedy show in 2004 while the carrier conducted operation in the Persian Gulf. It was a memorable show, and he kindly posed for pictures with as many sailors as he could. It was a great time for us....thank you Robin Williams for the laughter. We'll miss you.

Flooding

Posted: 11 Aug 2014 08:53 PM PDT

In Royal Oak, MI, the flooding was so bad that the streets were filmed so deep with water, that we could go row-boating!

entertaining the troops

Posted: 11 Aug 2014 06:36 PM PDT

I have an amazing of memory of Robin Williams when in 2002 he flew to karshi-Khanabad (K2) Uzbekistan to entertain the troops stationed there. I was a staff sergeant at the time in the United States Air Force deployed in support of Enduring Freedom. I was excited because I had never before met someone of such well-known celebrity. For me, that entire day was memorable as I could not believe his energy and enthusiasm. From the moment he stepped off the C-17, he was a non-stop rollercoaster of laughter. He must have easily spent 20 hours + entertaining both Airman and Soldiers stationed there and probably signed over 500 items (whatever the troops had available). I have 2 amazing photos taken with him. My favorite is the first photo taken as Mr. Williams was my unwitting accomplice in a scheme to be the first person on base to get a photo with him.

When everyone heard of his impending arrival, a few hundred personnel were lined up on the flight-line. Working as a member in Security Forces, there was no way I could wait for hours just for a photo opportunity. So I rolled up and "pretended" to be apart of the security detail and immediately took control of the gathering crowd. Once everyone was in place, Robin Williams stepped off the plane and immediately had everyone laughing. After roughly 15 minutes, it was announced that he would start signing autographs. I immediately put everyone in place and took charge of where the "signings" will begin. Once ready, I immediately pulled out my camera and had someone take a photo of him and I (I am now a First Sergeant and this photo with my signed memorabilia is currently on my desk). As I quickly began to exit, you could plainly hear the "hey!" as personnel started to realize that I took control simply to jump in front of the line. Mr. Williams quickly faced me, pointed and laughed while stating "its OK, he's my personal security guard and has waited years for my picture! Now run, I can't hold em all back!"

I loved the fact that he took his time to come to a place that most people don't even know exists just to spend time with all of us, make us laugh, sign autographs and simply give all of us a much needed comedic break. And most importantly, I love that he was so willing to quickly support me in being the very first person on base to get a photo with him. That took place over 12 years ago and I still tell that story to this day.

In Memorium of Robin Williams - I met him on an airplane

Posted: 11 Aug 2014 06:24 PM PDT

The attached photo of my 9th Birthday says it all! I grew up watching Mork and Mindy, and loved Robin Williams! What you can't see in the photo are my Mork and Mindy pants with the giant egg on the back pocket!  Beyond Mork and Mindy, some of my favorite movies of his were Good Morning Vietnam and Mrs. Doubtfire. I am deeply saddened by his passing. My deepest condolences to his family!  In 2001, I was a 30-year-old Captain in the US Air Force flying back to Boise, Idaho near where I was stationed. I had a layover in Las Vegas, when Robin Williams boarded the Southwest Airlines flight to Boise.  He was heading to Hailey, Idaho.  When I saw him board the plane, I immediately hopped out of my seat and took the seat right next to him (it was the standard Southwest Airlines unassigned seating). He was dressed in normal street clothes with a baseball cap on trying to go unnoticed. I leaned over and mentioned my adoration of him, but you could tell he was trying to keep a low profile so me and the guy sitting next to me kept things low.  We didn't act like he was famous and we just had a very normal conversation with him throughout the flight.  We didn't bring up his movie star status or act awe struck...although I was (as he was the only movie star I ever dreamed of meeting). He asked what I was doing and I was telling him about my Air Force career, how I had worked my way through college, became an Air Force officer, and how I had been on a job interview in Texas because I was getting out of the Air Force.  He seemed very intrigued by my story and the other guy sitting in our row.  He seemed sincerely interested in our "normal lives." When we were getting off the plane, he thanked us for the nice conversation and told me I was "a real American hero." He seemed so kind and sincere. It was the most amazing thing ever! I am so saddened by his passing. I know his family's wishes are for us all to remember the laughter he brought to our lives and I certainly will.  We certainly enjoyed his company on that 2-hour flight, and enjoyed his added narrative as the flight attendant delivered refreshments!  He told us about his ADHD and his former addiction problems. At the time he mentioned he had been sober since the 80's. He was hilarious, kind, sincere, and amusing! He spoke very highly of his children and you could see the glimmer in his eye as he was telling us a story about his youngest daughter. He was so proud of his kids!  I am so sad he passed away, but I am so glad I got to meet him in person!  Diane Ramos

Flooding in SE Michigan

Posted: 11 Aug 2014 06:00 PM PDT

Roads and highways are flooded in South East Michigan causing thousands of stranded motorists. This video was taken at 696 and Mound Road. Roads are flooded deeper than 10 feet in all directions. In the video you see a large truck submerged and a glimpse of a red car that is almost completely under water.

He Kept His Word

Posted: 11 Aug 2014 05:33 PM PDT

Robin Williams was literally darting out into a street from NY's Catch a Rising Star club running into unexpecting me, who a day earlier, I had just mailgrammed an offer to have him play a concert at the University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA, where I work as the programs director. Not wanting to miss the perfect opportunity to push my date, I seized the moment to tell him, and both his hands shot up and he yelled "Help, I'm being accosted!, and I said no you're not, and stopped him from backing into traffic. Months later, he indeed not only honored my invitation, and made a sold out college fieldhouse a very festive place-he also honored his commitment and turned down some big offers from promoters to cancel on us.

Magic night at The Comedy Store with Robin Williams

Posted: 11 Aug 2014 04:28 PM PDT

I had the opportunity to work one crazy night with Robin Williams at The Comedy Store in Hollywood back in 2006. I was a part of an improv group that opened up the hit urban show "Trippin' on Tuesdays". We were on the stage doing fake spoken word bits and somebody noticed Robin watching from the back entrance, being anonymous. Of course, we all made a bee line to where he was after our set and we found him in the small room where comics work out material. He was doing a set for probably six very lucky people. Our producer approached him and asked if he'd like to come up on stage in the main room. He went up and turned to the band to play some Reggae tune and he ripped through a five minute song made up on the spot. Off the stage he was quiet and introverted. He was gracious to take a pic. It was honor. He'll be missed.