Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Emmys 2014 - Arrivals on the Red Carpet

Emmys 2014 - Arrivals on the Red Carpet

Emmys 2014 - Arrivals on the Red Carpet

Posted: 27 Aug 2014 02:08 AM PDT

Scorching temperatures in Los Angeles, tested even the most poised actors on the red carpet. Fortunately this year, the tv academy opted for a covered carpet to ease the bright sun with the Emmys being celebrated in August instead of late September. Portable hand fans and water greeted people entering the red carpet.

We we first arrived, Emmy nominee Jimmy Kimmel already had people laughing. Emmy nominee. Emmy nominee Matt Bomer "The Normal Heart" and Emmy nominee Scott Bakula "Men of a Certain Age" were waiting for interviews. Emmy winner "Julie Bowen" walked briskly through the red carpet.

Red carpet arrival highlights include:

Meeting Emmy winner Jim Parsons "The Big Bang Theory"

Emmy winner Aaron Paul "Breaking Bad" with actor Aaron Lee getting ready for a selfie

Emmy winner and nominee William H Macy "Shameless" and Emmy winner and nominee Felicity Huffman "Desperate Housewives" visiting
Emmy nominee Jon Voight "Ray Donovan"

Emmy nominee Laverne Cox "Orange is the New Black" laughing with Vincent De Paul "House of Cards"

Emmy winner and nominee Debra Missing "The Starter Wife" prepping

Emmy nominee Kerry Washington "Scandal" taking a break

Emmy winner "The Amazing Race" with Director of Business outreach from Washington D.C. Elizabeth Webster

Leading up to the Emmys 2014

Posted: 27 Aug 2014 01:13 AM PDT

The Primetime Emmys was a culmination of more than a week of gifting suites and parties celebrating television. Our highlights leading up to the Emmys from various events:

Emmy winner Cloris Leachmen "Raising Hope" and Greer Grammer "Awkward" at 2014 Entertainment Weekly pre-Emmy party

Matt Harris and Mark Harris "Storage Wars", boxer Victor Ortiz, Rob Steinberg "12 Years a Slave" at WOW! Creations Gifting Experience celebrating the 86th Primetime Emmy Awards

Kate Linder "The Young and the Restless", former Emmy Board of Governor and designer Toni Ackerman of Intemporelle Designs at Doris Bergman's Fifth Annual Emmy Style Lounge and Party

RJ Mitte "Breaking Bad" and his mother Dyna Mitte at Doris Bergman's Fifth Annual Emmy Style Lounge and Party

Emmy nominee Jon Voight "Ray Donovan" with celebrity clothier Art Lewin at Doris Bergman's Fifth Annual Emmy Style Lounge and Party

James Dumont "Treme" and "Dallas Buyers Club" and Tehmina Sunny "24: Live Another Day" at Secret Room Events 2014 Red Carpet Style Lounge in honor of the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards

Kat Kramer "Little Fockers", Karen Sharpe and Emmy nominee David Rosemont "Bonnie and Clyde" at Television Academy's Producers Nominee Reception

Emmy nominees Stephen Full "Dog with a Blog" and Jim Albarano "Who Do You Think You Are" at Television Academy's Producers Nominee Reception

Multi-Emmy winning designer Birgit Muller, Mira Sorvino "Falling Skies", Sofia Milos "CSI: Miami" at BAFTA LA TV Tea presented by BBC America and Jaguar

Gleb Savchenko "Dancing with the Stars", Layla Alizada "Melissa and Joey", Noel Fisher "Shameless", Alex Shekharian, Joyce Chow and Rex Lee "Young and Hungry" at 2014 Entertainment Weekly pre-Emmy party

Hail After Tornado Warning

Posted: 25 Aug 2014 07:26 PM PDT

This is a video that I took of the hail accumulation after a tornado warning here in Pueblo, Colorado on the afternoon of August 25th, 2014.

The True Original Hipsters

Posted: 25 Aug 2014 03:59 PM PDT

My grandparents never had much money. Both were raised during the Great Depression in families that had been hit hard by the collapse of the economy. My grandfather began working at the age of 10 to support his family (being that his father died when he was an infant and he was technically the man of the house) and my grandmother's memory of the time has been summed up as "I didn't realize then that we were poor, I just thought we really liked eating beans, since that's what we had for every meal".

As adults, they were your typical blue-collar family. My grandfather went to work every day at a company that produced gypsum based construction materials while my grandmother stayed home to raise their three children. While my grandfather made a modest living that they could live comfortably on, it didn't leave much room for spending on frivolous items or activities.

During the 1950's, my grandparents and a few of their friends who were in similar financial situations began throwing "La-Di-Da" parties. They were nights to get dressed up and parade around each other's houses like the hoity-toity, mocking the silly behavior of the rich. The requirement for each of these parties was that no money could be spent on any of the outfits, only items already owned and materials found at home were allowed.

In this photo, my grandfather is wearing his swimming shorts and a tuxedo jacket that for some reason he already owned (my grandma has no idea why). My grandmother's fabulous gown is a burlap curtain that she altered.

ETHEL WHITCOMB LEE

Posted: 25 Aug 2014 10:49 AM PDT

My grandmother was one of the strongest women I know. She married at a young age and had three children - my father being the youngest. She once told me she always wanted to be a wife and mother, but I know she also loved horses and met my grandfather through horseback riding. She endured the loss of her eldest son when he died from complications of the flu and had to raise my father as a single parent, whereas her husband remarried and her daughter had a family of her own.

When my father was only 17, he enlisted and served in WWII. He had a special bond with his mom and wanted to be the man of the family and take care of her. He wrote a letter to his mom almost every day he was serving in the Seabees in Okinawa Japan. It is through those letters that I have grown to know my grandmother and establish a deep respect and love for her. I am compiling the hundreds of letters written by my father to his mom in order to create a memoir in honor of my grandmother and my father. Some of the letters brought tears to my eyes, and shared some historical events, but most were from a teenager missing his home and the love of his family during a time when our country was at war. My grandmother was always there for him.

We owe a lot to our service men and women, but also to their families. I honor my grandmother Ethel Whitcomb Lee for teaching my father how to be a wonderful, loving and supportive father to me so that I could teach the same values to my son.

This Happens to White People too

Posted: 25 Aug 2014 10:46 AM PDT

This is in response to Kimberly Norwood's opinion piece on CNN. This doesn't happen to white people. (http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/25/opinion/norwood-ferguson-sons-brown-police/index.html?hpt=hp_t3)  Update: Author has changed her title to Why I fear for my sons.

I belong to the human race. I am more than just a "white person", I am a human being. Like you I have wants, needs and desires for both myself and my children. I don't think that it is right or polite to address a person or peoples buy their color code. "White People" "Black People" "Brown People" or  "Yellow People". When you do, you set a racial divide whether you intend to or not and from that opinions are formed. I guess my real problem is if I wrote an opinion and titled it "This doesn't happen to black people" I would be called a racist because I singled out the black people. Yet it's ok for you to single out my skin color and if I call you out on it, I am being racist? This attitude serves to do nothing but fuel a divide that will bring my children and your children into the streets only to die for an archaic belief system.

I have known white racist, black racist, brown ones and even a few red ones and find what they all have in common is the need to blame another for what they lack.  Be it a job or a big home or nice car or a better school for their kids.  It is so much easier to blame another then to get up and change it.   Should I be upset that your income is a full 1/3 larger mine or that you have a nice house in the suburbs whereas mine is merely a house (with a failing septic system) in a ok neighborhood?  Or maybe I should be jealous that you shop at Macys and I at Wal-Mart?  I'm not.  I could use the color card to say that you were afforded better opportunities because you were black. I can't and won't because I don't believe it!  The fact of matter is you worked for what you have you earned it.  It wasn't because of the color of your skin but the strength of your devotion.  You like me struggle, perhaps with different things but still we both have our own problems.  It's called life.  I am happy with mine are you?

Few years back my husband and I went car shopping, we both needed something more reliable then what we had to get us to and from work.  Armed with cash pulled from our 401k we headed out to car lots.  We browsed the lot till we found two cars that fit both our budget and need and waited.  Not one salesperson came out to chat with us.  When we sought one, no one had the time.  Is it because we were white and most of the salesmen were of different nationalities?  I doubt it.  We just didn't appear to have the means to afford what they had.  My jeans and old comfy shirt over a pregnant tummy and his old jeans and work shirt didn't scream we had much money.  We were judged on our appearance much as you described in your Macys incident.   The difference is, I took my money elsewhere.   We bought 2 cars from the Saturn dealer that greeted us the moment we stepped on the lot.  We took those two cars back to the first lot, found the sales manager and showed them to him and told him what happened at his lot.  Maybe next time, for the next person that shows up that looks like they can't afford a car, someone will help.

Several years ago at a KMART, I was stopped on my way out because someone had reported that I may have been taking 5 finger discounts.   I too was searched and nothing was found.  I was sent on my way with not so much as an apology.   I was a single mother of 3 boys then and money was tight despite working 2 jobs.  My clothes came from the thrift store so that that my boys could wear old navy and such to school so they fit in.   I remember the security guy telling me that if I just got a job and didn't rely on welfare I wouldn't have these problems.  I thought to myself "Really, did he just say that?"  I was judged because I had no ring on my finger so I must be on welfare.  I avoid shopping at Kmart if at all possible, and this is 15 years later.  If enough people stop shopping where people are treated badly for any reason, big business  will take notice and make changes, or fail.

Years ago, I had 4 of my kids at Stater Bros (that's a grocery store here) with me when a woman walked up and inquired if they were all mine as she cooed at my newborn in the basket.  I gleamed as I told her yes and my 10 year old announced that the twins were at home with their big sister.  The horror that I had 7 kids turned her cold towards me and promptly said " well I am sure I am paying for them" .  The oldest daughter was my husband's from his first marriage and just as much mine as the 6 I had birthed.  I turned her cold right back on her when I said, "well no, but if you would like I can start sending you bills." She stormed away.  The irony to the story is she was in front of me in line (yes I will admit I did it intentionally) and paid for her grocery haul with an EBT card or food stamps.  Because I had a large family she drew a conclusion that I was on state aid.  We're not.  I was angry after she paid, then I realized what I needed wasn't anger but pity  and sorrow.  Pity because she spends her life judging and sorrow because she will raise judgmental children and the cycle will continue.

I too have older sons, 23 , 21 and 19.  They too have never been arrested and finished school with 3.0 and above grade point averages.  When they leave my house I worry.  White on White Violence, Black on White Violence and Brown on White violence happens a lot.  Let me put that a better way, our young people are maiming and killing each other at an alarming rate.

In the area I live in, being young is a reason for the police to stop and search you for contraband.  I worry that the new breed of police officer is going to take offence to something one of my boys say and harm or kill them.  If that happened, unlike Ferguson, no one will riot and few will care, just another white boy killed by the cops.  Nothing to see here, keep moving.   You see, area has a lot to do with how or kids are treated.  In your neighborhood you worry about their color with the police.  In my area the only requirement to be harassed by the police is being young and breathing.

It's hard to find a job these days, it has nothing to do with my sons skin color or clothes (they will wear suits to apply for jobs) and everything to do with their age.  Companies that are hiring are taking the older ones with families to support leaving my boys with little opportunity.

Your family is not so different then mine.  Your worries are very similar to mine.  Were both Mothers and we both want our kids safe and happy.  To be and have more than us.  The only difference is you see a white woman, I just see another woman with similar struggles.

Until the day that everyone can see just another person struggling I fear that your boys and my boys will both lose.  It is up to everyone to raise a better future, to see beyond color, money, religion and the many other things that make us different.   We are, even if we don't see it, one race.... The human race and we need each other if we are to survivie.

Feedback after thought:  What I am trying to say is everyone has fell victim to prejudice but its how we react to it that matters the most.  We either feed into and make it true or dispel them with fact.

End note:  I wrote this rather quickly and I am sure you will find errors in spelling, grammer and punctuation... I'll fix um as I find um :)

Island of Iceland. Westman Islands.

Posted: 22 Aug 2014 07:34 PM PDT

Also known as Vestmannaeyjar is actually an archipelago, a chain of islands located in the south of Iceland. The place where I visited, Heimaey is the biggest island of all the islands and also the only one that is inhabited. Heimaey came to the centre of attention in year 1973 when one of the volcano mountain, Eldfell erupted forcing all the people there to move to the mainland. Currently with a population of over 4000 the island is a place that is quiet but eventful, if you are willing to explore. From bird watching to seeing whales, it is just a matter of being at the right place at the right time and also with a little bit of luck on your side. The best way to explore in Heimaey is by foot. At a size of 13.4 square kilometres, it is definitely possible to explore the entire island in a day if you do enjoy a long walk.

In the picture, the mountain on the left(seen with a crater) is Eldfell.

Extreme Water Sports

Posted: 22 Aug 2014 07:13 PM PDT

Extreme Water Sports in Galveston, Texas!

Sailboats at Sunset

Posted: 22 Aug 2014 06:26 PM PDT

Sunset in Hamburg, and silhouettes of the sailboats on Alster Lake!