Monday, June 2, 2014

Coffee time!

Coffee time!

Coffee time!

Posted: 02 Jun 2014 08:56 AM PDT

What I really love about Poznan, my home city, is a widespread love towards coffee. All varieties of coffees! And most of all the way people enjoy their coffee and time they spend in cafe.

People in Poland meet their friends and spent some of their afternoons in numerous cafes situated in historical parts of the city. While it is true for many cities around the country Poznan is my favorite! Why?

Because there is a huge variety of cafes and EVERYBODY find something precisely as she or he likes. You've got vintage cafes, modern cafes, tea houses, places where you drink chocolate and taste local sweets. Big, small, crowded, cool, weird, classic...all varieties imaginable!

You can spend all your day in cafes! Starting with breakfast through second breakfast (how Hobbit - like it sounds?), brunch, lunch, afternoon tea (so called 'podwieczorek') and evening coffee.

All in all, Poznan is a totally awesome place to be!

So, what are you waiting for? Visit us before the rest of the world figures it out.

Severe flooding and rains in Colombo, Sri Lanka

Posted: 02 Jun 2014 03:55 AM PDT

I had to go to town this morning and this what I came across on the roads, flood waters of the previous day and nights heavy rains., thunder and lightening.

Last night I had to sleep with a dish on my bed as the roof was leaking ;( as well as the sitting room, and kitchen the downpour was that severe.

THE MISSING CHIBOK SCHOOL GIRLS

Posted: 02 Jun 2014 01:00 AM PDT

DAY 48...

40+ DAYS...Since Over 200 Chibok School Girls Were Kidnapped By Boko Haram Terrorists and Are Still Being Held As Captives.

#BringBackOurGirls

Nature vs Nurture

Posted: 01 Jun 2014 01:17 PM PDT

My husband and I have been together for 14 years now. Yes, we are a gay couple but that is not what this story is about, this story is about the diverse families we grew up in.
His parents divorced when he was 2 years old. His father, Catholic, remarried soon after to a Jewish woman and they had a daughter. His mother never remarried but has been with the same person for over 30 years and they also had a daughter. His mother's person was married previously and had a son. All in all, my husband has 2 half sister's who are not related and a kind-of step brother. Still with me?
Now for my side... My father died when I was 6 years old and my mother, Jewish, remarried a Catholic when I was 9 years old. I have 1 blood brother and my step-father had 3 children from a previous marriage, 2 boys and a girl. All in all, I have 1 blood brother, 2 step brothers, and 1 step sister.
For totals, my husband and I have had 7 brothers and sisters and 7 parents between us, all of our mothers were in the healthcare industry and all of our fathers were in the construction industry. We both grew up in households where we celebrated both Hanukkah and Christmas.
Being gay is one part of who we are, a part we got from nature. Coming from such diverse families has helped us develop to be the open, accepting, happy people that we have grown to be, that we got from nurture.

1st anniversary of the Gezi Protests

Posted: 01 Jun 2014 12:40 PM PDT

Photographer: Görkem Keser/Koda Collective

In 31st May 2014, thousands of people gathered in Taksim for the 1st anniversary of the Gezi Protests. Long before protestors gathered, thousands of police forces closed roads that goes to Taksim Square and Gezi Parki. Police used rubber bullets, gas and water cannons to disperse demonstrators.

For the past year Thousands of Turkish citizens have protested the demolition of Gezi Park, one of the few green areas left in the center of Istanbul. There was a clash between the police and the demonstrators who refuse shopping mall in Gezi Park in many cities of Turkey last year. The protests have been held in some other cities of Turkey also in Istanbul with high number of participation. Since May 2013 Gezi protest tension is still in high level.

Statue of Liberty

Posted: 01 Jun 2014 10:41 AM PDT

We took the SS United States back from the UK in 1967 and were so excited to see the Statue of Liberty.

Breathing New Life Into the Drought Stricken West

Posted: 31 May 2014 11:40 PM PDT

While traveling to California last year, I stopped in New Mexico in hopes of witnessing a mass migration of geese, joined by a hundred or so Sandhill Cranes, which are not found where I live on the East coast.
Near sunset, the huge Cranes began flying from nearby fields to the large pond where small Snow and Ross Geese had all converged.
They successfully cohabitated, swimming, preening and feeding until as if on cue, they all simultaneously took flight. The reason? Two birds perched high in the lone tree in the middle of the pond decided to vacate their perches and fly. They were bald eagles.
The migration only happens once a year, and all the beauty surrounding me was frankly overwhelming. Trees barren and lifeless from the western drought and season suddenly glowed in golden colors as the suns setting rays breathed new life into them. Cooling temperatures corralled clouds that puffed and stretched to mirror the colorful rays and bright white geese dotted the sky, quickly changing into vivid then deepening colors.
I count it as one of the most beautiful experiences I have and may ever witness.

The three musketeers

Posted: 30 May 2014 08:42 PM PDT

As in the Dumas story, I came across these four inseparable companions in Cozumel, and was struck by their seemingly enduring bond. The angelfish are there just to mooch some morsels off the organic material that the hawksbill turtle scrapes off the rocks and coral with its powerful beak, but at the same time, he/she seemed to have a serene, perhaps even fond attitude towards his/her shell-less friends. As can be seen by my dive party far ahead in the distance, I spent quite a bit of time taking in this colorful quartet, to which they did not seem to object.

Poland's Resiliency

Posted: 30 May 2014 07:50 AM PDT

This building was the view from my hotel. The Stalinist building representing life under communist rule. I also have some pretty amazing photos of the Jewish Cemetery. When I think of the recent history of these people, then to see how they were able to rebuild their destroyed cities and lives - what an amazing country!

Happy Birthday Daddy!

Posted: 30 May 2014 04:38 AM PDT

My husband, SSG Tommy Lopez is currently deployed to Afghanistan. And his birthday was yesterday. So this is Savannah Lopez wanting to wish her daddy a Happy Birthday all the way from Copperas Cove, Texas.