Saturday, May 24, 2014

Space Station with a side of meteor

Space Station with a side of meteor

Space Station with a side of meteor

Posted: 24 May 2014 09:32 AM PDT

While shooting time exposures for the meteor shower, I noticed the ISS creeping along the horizon. Quickly setting up a shot, I also captured a meteor in the upper right of photo.

Camelopardalids

Posted: 24 May 2014 09:13 AM PDT

While the Camelopardalids meteor shower didn't live up to the hype it still was an awesome night having all my family watch the sky with me. I was only able to capture this one in Cashiers, North Carolina around 3:45AM EST.

Camelopardalids Meteor Shower over Mono Lake

Posted: 24 May 2014 08:28 AM PDT

I'm lucky enough to live in one of the best star gazing areas around as there is little to no light pollution in the Eastern Sierra Nevada of California. in anticipation of the Camelopardalids Meteor Shower I took the short drive to Mono Lake, which has an excellent view of the north sky. There were many photographers there, all you could see were the lights of their cameras scattered around the lake. I set up my camera in a little cove area, pointed it toward the north and let the show begin. I captured several good meteor shots and saw about half a dozen or so with my own eyes.

30s @ f/4

ISO 6400

24mm

No joy in Illinois

Posted: 24 May 2014 07:11 AM PDT

Camera running from 1:30am to 4:00am on the morning of May 24th, trying to catch a meteor during the Camelopardalids shower. Although we saw a couple in the southern sky, our camera covering the north east quadrant was skunked. However, about 2:40 am we did catch the International Space Station (ISS) crossing very bright, low in the northern sky. Perhaps next time.

Caught one on camera

Posted: 24 May 2014 06:21 AM PDT

Shot from Big Rapids Michigan using:

f/1.8
4.00 s
800 iso
50mm
Canon T3i

Camelopardalids Meteor Sprinkle

Posted: 24 May 2014 05:21 AM PDT

I shot the sky centered on the Polaris (North Star) from approximately 1:45 – 3:45AM EST and this is the only frame I am certain shows a meteorite. I witnessed a couple (literally two) others, but the Camelopardalids meteor shower was just barely a sprinkle. This was shot from the eastern shoreline of Lake George (part of the St. John's River) near Pierson, Florida.

Kuala Lumpur at night

Posted: 24 May 2014 05:01 AM PDT

I love to take pictures of the city specially at night. Through searching on the internet, I found the best location to capture the 360-degree view of Kuala Lumpur's skyline. The photo was taken from the Heli Lounge Bar at Menara KH, Sultan Ismail.

Disappointing Camelopardalis meteor shower

Posted: 24 May 2014 02:54 AM PDT

Rented a car to drive away from the city lights and find some dark skies but the meteor shower I was hoping for never happened. We still saw a few meteors and I managed to catch some of them thanks to a fish eye lens. Can you see the strike of light left by this Camelopardalis meteor next to the big dipper? Despite some suboptimal skies (light pollution and a thin layer of high altitude clouds), we can also see the milky way rising on the horizon.

Caught one on camera.