Thursday, May 29, 2014

Majlis

Majlis

Majlis

Posted: 28 May 2014 10:20 PM PDT

This is a typical Majlis (Arabic term meaning "a sitting room") furnishings during the pre-Islamic era. The mirror reflects the sitting area of the fort. | Picture taken: Nakhal Fort, Nakhal Oman

Grand Piano Washes Ashore in Manhattan

Posted: 28 May 2014 04:41 PM PDT

I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I was biking to work along the East River in Manhattan and saw this grand piano washed ashore under the Brooklyn Bridge. CNN help me solve this mystery!

Carla L. Mannino, LCSW, www.gothampsychotherapy.com

Posted: 28 May 2014 11:53 AM PDT

Dr. Maya Angelou has been an inspiration in my life for as long as I can remember.

As a young girl growing up with negative self image issues, I felt like the world was on top of me. I thought no one understood me, not even my family. If that weren't enough to deal with as a child, I had the misfortune, like Dr. Angelou to have experienced a life-changing trauma.
I simply wanted to die. I had no outlet to express my feelings. Then I started to read and learn about Maya Angelou when I was about 10 years olds. I learned that we shared very similiar stories. That gave me hope to go on.

Dr. Angelou gave me courage to "show up" and "speak out". I was no longer afraid of being seen, no matter what I looked like. The life trauma that caused Maya Angelou to be silent, was the same trauma that led me to put pen to paper and write poetry. I have been writing poetry since the age of 10 as a means of expressing myself and my innermost feelings.
Dr. Angelou gave me the hope and inspiration to do just that.
I had the honor and privilege of meeting her in person several years ago, and it was the greatest gift I ever received.
She is now, has always been, and will always be near and dear to my heart.

I love you Dr. Maya Angelou and will miss you terribly.

Thank you for ALL of the contributions you have made to society and thank you especially for giving a young black girl the hope to strive for greatness.

Tahrir Square

Posted: 28 May 2014 07:13 AM PDT

May 27, 2014 - Supporters of Abdel Fattah el-Sisi gather in Cairo's Tahrir Square on the eve of the last day of the presidential election.

Dad captures twins first year, a second a day

Posted: 27 May 2014 02:58 PM PDT

I shot a video every day of my twin girls from birth to their 1st birthday.

To My Layla and Ava,

The day you girls were born was the happiest day of my life. My world instantly collided with overwhelming feelings of love that I have never known. Both of you were so small and innocent, and at that moment I first laid eyes on you, I wanted to hold you close for the rest of eternity. I knew nothing bad had ever happened to you, I wanted to cling to that, and protect you.

Love,
Daddy

Leaving for Vietnam

Posted: 26 May 2014 06:10 PM PDT

This is a photo of myself and my mother on the back step of our house in Minnesota, as I left for a year service in Vietnam in March 1969. It was a tense period of history in our country. Large anti-war demonstrations and protest marches. Soldiers going to and from Vietnam were met with protesting students and shouted at in the airports. My long-time girlfriend at the time, broke up with me before I shipped out. Only my family stayed with me and helped me through the turmoil. This picture is frozen in time for me and kept me sane in the coming insanity.