Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I Have Asperger's

I Have Asperger's

I Have Asperger's

Posted: 20 May 2014 10:47 AM PDT

Growing up was confusing to me. For my whole life, it felt like no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get things right. People gave me strange looks. They became angry over things which didn't make sense to me. It seemed to me that people were just being nit-picky. I tried to tell them that I was lost, but no one seemed to hear me. In 10th grade, after 15 long, tiring years, I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. Of course, at that time I didn't know what it was. I shrugged off this "official" diagnosis, because after all, I hadn't changed.

What I wasn't expecting was for people to stop being so mad at me. They began to listen. I studied more about what Asperger's was, and my life began to make sense. Now that people had started listening, I felt maybe I could get across what I had been trying to say before. I made a website, and I started to blog about what my life is like. I realized that people who are not on the Autistic Spectrum think, feel, and live differently. It is my job to teach them about what it's like for me.

My name is Erin Clemens. I'm 24 years old, and I want to help others understand what my life is like living with Asperger's Syndrome. My hope is that people can learn from what I have been through, and apply it to what may help someone they know on the spectrum. To me, autism isn't a death sentence. It's just a different lifestyle.

Doboj after the flood - Bosnia

Posted: 20 May 2014 09:55 AM PDT

Photos are showing city of Doboj today, after the worst flood ever...

Beautiful Cardinal

Posted: 20 May 2014 09:35 AM PDT

Spent a day photographing Virginia's state bird. Captured this red beauty perching in tree branches and mid-flight.

Sewol-ho Ferry Disaster Portest

Posted: 19 May 2014 07:50 PM PDT

Candlelight protest in memory of Sewol-ho Ferry Disaster at Cheonggyecheon Square in Seoul on Saturday evening.

San Diego Firestorm 2014 Aftermath

Posted: 19 May 2014 01:14 PM PDT

This video tour shows San Marcos after the fires from the ground and from an aerial drone, and signs posted by residents to thank the firefighters.

The Hardangervidda National Park

Posted: 19 May 2014 12:23 PM PDT

The Hardangervidda National Park is not only the largest National Park in Norway with an area of 8130 km² - but also one of the very best.

Over 500 plant species, almost 100 bird species and 21 different mammals recorded in the area. This also includes snow owls and arctic foxes.

There are a large number of mountain lakes, rivers, streams and bogs on Hardangervidda. The area is famous for its excellent fishing. Trout is found in almost every lake.

Northern Europe's largest stock of reindeer is located at the Hardangervidda. During the year, the herd is moving from winter pasture on the east side of the plateau, to the more lush terrain in the west. The varying climate has a major impact on the vegetation on the plateau, which is more fertile in the rainy west than in the dry, eastern terrain. Much of the area is covered with grass and moss (especially peat moss).

In late summer, Cloudberries are the most coveted resource that people pick on the marshlands of the plateau. In Winter, when conditions are good, one can also experience the Aurora Borealis all over the Hardangervidda.

It only takes some 2.5 hours from the capital Oslo to reach the Hardangervidda. The easiest and fastest way is by driving to Rjukan in Telemark, and taking the Krossobanen Cable Way to Gvepseborg (http://www.krossobanen.no) One can also reach the park by car by driving to Kalhovd.

Coney Island, side show..Charming the snakes!

Posted: 19 May 2014 11:08 AM PDT

With the start of the season, the show must go on at Coney Island, but the sideshow never ended.
I took some pictures of the performers at the Sideshow, Freak house in Coney Island. I don't know why they call it a freak house, but they hold onto the old carnival tradition. Because, these performers are talented actors, athletes, gymnasts, pantamines. I found their make-up striking and they were all very professional and good at what they did. They drew a crowd trying to draw people into the live show which I may witness next week.
Anyway, I enjoyed them. They had me mesmorized for a few minutes.
The young lady in the first photo is wearing a Boa Constrictor around her neck, which she charms. The other performers do various tricks, contortions inside the building on the stage.
I don't like the word freak anymore. I never did, although very now and then it slips out of my mouth in bad taste. Everyone is an artist in their own right, in my book.
Thank you.
May 19, 2014.

9/11 Memorial Museum

Posted: 18 May 2014 12:20 PM PDT

On my first visit to the 9/11 Memorial Museum on 5/17/14 I snapped this picture of the old World Center's iconic tridents set against the new Freedom Tower. The museum is a memorial to the all those who were directly affected by the tragedy with a clear narrative of the triumph of human spirit amid destruction and massive loss of life.

Demonstrations in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Posted: 18 May 2014 07:45 AM PDT

Following covering the protests and burning factories in Binh Duong Province on Wednesday for AP, I went to District One in Ho Chi Minh City this Sunday (18 May) to get more shots of demonstrations. The word on the street was that several protests were planned.

As of 10 a.m., there were reports on Twitter that two demonstrators had been forceably removed from the area surrounding the Notre Dame cathedral. In the hours following, the city was quiet. People gathered in the park across from Diamond Plaza. A cameraman from Korean Broadcasting System and I talked to some local folks there, and he explained to me that they had been dispersed and unable to organize demonstrations, due to the immense police presence.

I spent several hours downtown waiting for a shot, but the security was tighter than I've ever seen in town. From Dong Khoi to the Chinese Consulate—and in surrounding districts—three to ten police/security officers occupied every corner. In some areas, up to 20 or more officers, many in riot gear. I cannot confirm the reports of protesters being "dragged" from the scene, but I can tell you that security was much higher than normal for this town.

Keep an eye on this story. While the demonstrations and activism may have slowed for now, the larger issue of the Chinese oil rig in the South Sea, and the implications therein, are not going anywhere for awhile.

Bosnia Flood Photos - river Spreca 16 May 2014

Posted: 16 May 2014 03:59 PM PDT

These photos are follow up on previous iReport of short video showing flooded bridge (which you cannot see right now) and nearby houses. As you can see on the house walls, water is reducing since yesterday afternoon. Photos were taken @ approximately 3pm today, 16th May.