Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Flagellants of Cutud

The Flagellants of Cutud

The Flagellants of Cutud

Posted: 17 Apr 2014 10:51 AM PDT

These are the flagellants of Pampanga, Philippines that make their vow as a symbol of their faith and devotion to their Catholic Faith happening during Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. These were shots at Cutud in San Fernando, Pampanga-a famous place for its real life crucifixion which is being practiced for more than 50 years now.

Happy Easter!

Posted: 17 Apr 2014 10:13 AM PDT

My daughter's first encounter with the Easter Bunny - Easter 1998. I told the photographer to snap the picture quick because this is what memories are made of.

Pinhole Photography At Wrigley Field

Posted: 17 Apr 2014 09:42 AM PDT

Two years ago, my best friend from college and I decided to start an annual baseball road trip. Wrigley Field was our first stop.

I'm not a baseball fan, but I LOVE to watch live baseball. Growing up in Nashville, without a major ball team, I never swore allegiance to a single team. On our road trips I always support the home team (much to my friend's chagrin…he's a Braves fan).

With the road trip planned, I decided to start a project to shoot pinhole photographs of every MLB ballpark. Pinhole photos are taken without a traditional lens. The camera is just a plain box with an absurdly tiny hole to allow light in. It usually takes several seconds to shoot an image. It's a very old form of photography. I see baseball as a very old form of sport. It's a good match.

Wrigley Field was the first stop on our first road trip. It was the only "must-see" park on my list. Growing up baseball-less, I based my understanding of ballparks on what I'd seen in movies. I was elated, walking the concourses, feeling the wooden seats, seeing the ivy-covered walls—Wrigley fulfilled every ballpark fantasy I had as a kid. This is how baseball should be seen…and how sweet to capture pinhole photos on a medium (film) only slightly older than the park.

Sadly an usher was suspicious of the camera and of me. I explained the camera and what I was doing. I explained that I'm a photographer. But I put the camera away. When I went to get some beer he approached my friends and asked if I was with them, asked what I was really doing, asked if I was legit. Since it was the trip's first park, I was discouraged and wondered if I'd run into similar problems at the remaining parks (five to go). Luckily I didn't.

Blood Moon over Dallas

Posted: 17 Apr 2014 06:14 AM PDT

I am 14 years old and and getting into astronomy. When I heard of the upcoming Lunar Eclipse, I knew I wouldn't want to miss out. So, my Dad and I woke up at 2am to witness the Blood Moon. I was amazing! It made the perfect triangle in the sky with the star Spica to its bottom right and Mars above it. Needless to say it was an amazing eclipse not to be soon forgotten.

Sun Halo

Posted: 16 Apr 2014 10:03 AM PDT

I just spotted the Halo Around the sun.

Deep, Enduring Faith

Posted: 16 Apr 2014 04:01 AM PDT

Holy Wednesday procession in Bulaon Resettlement, Pampanga, Philippines.

The people resettled here in the photo, ame from Bacolor, Pampanga and all victims of the Mt. Pinatubo eruption in 1991. 22 years after, these people continue their deep catholic tradition specially during Holy Week. The faith is very deep that even the images on this carozza were chosen to be saved by the owners during the devastating volcano eruption.

Good morning Spring

Posted: 16 Apr 2014 03:41 AM PDT

This is what I woke up to this morning. No Spring sunshine here just Winter snow. Its 19 degrees and snowing this 16th day of April. Not to mention the snow but everything is flooded around here.

Bush Fire in King George River- Western Australia

Posted: 15 Apr 2014 11:26 PM PDT

We anchor at the bey near King George River in Western Australia, board our zodiacs and witness a bush fire which was started by lightening. In Western Australia where there are very few people and even less fire fighting capability the fires tend to burn themselves out. In this case the fire, fanned by 20 mph winds was racing to the sea at which point it should burn itself out.

DC’s Cherry Blossoms Magnificently Bloom

Posted: 15 Apr 2014 08:53 AM PDT

The infamous DC Cherry Blossoms are magnets for droves of tourists. Hundreds of thousands of people travel to the District every year for the National Cherry Blossom Festival to experience the puffy white blooms at their peak. This year's bloom arrived later than usual, actually later than the last 10 years, but it appears tourists had no problems re-booking their travel plans.

In the heat of the day, it's nearly impossible to navigate the Tidal Basin. Jumping in the water seems like a viable option as temperatures soar and gridlock ensues. But even with the pushing, shoving, sweating, unpleasant atmosphere of ill-mannered masses and innumerable selfies, the blossoms are worth the trip.

More at: http://blog.makandel.com/blossoms/