Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Aftermath of tornado in Tupelo, Mississippi

Aftermath of tornado in Tupelo, Mississippi

Posted: 29 Apr 2014 10:33 AM PDT

These photos were originally posted on Instagram by @violetmitchell

Flashes lightning

Posted: 29 Apr 2014 10:19 AM PDT

This video was originally posted on Instagram by @rachelinez96.

No words in Tupelo, MS

Posted: 29 Apr 2014 09:50 AM PDT

I would put a meaningful caption... But there's really not much to say for stuff like this.. #prayfortupelo

Photo from Instagram user @jacobmcgee10

Lightning strikes in Huntsville, Alabama

Posted: 29 Apr 2014 09:42 AM PDT

Originally posted on Instagram, @andrewspeth took this photo in Huntsville, Alabama, during a storm with heavy winds and rain on April 28, 2014.

Damage at Billy Barb Trailer Park

Posted: 29 Apr 2014 09:41 AM PDT

Residents are sorting through what is left of their belongings. #valleywx #alwx #Alabama #tornado #Alabamatornado #storms #mothernature #tragedy #Limestone

Video by Instagram user @phunktography http://instagram.com/p/nYP33anwtr/

Building a boat from a chimney

Posted: 29 Apr 2014 09:20 AM PDT

I built a boat from a chimney (industrial cooling tower). Pipedream is a 40 foot steel sailing trimaran with twin engines and a mast that seemed to be a good idea (it works too).
She weighs 9 tons.
At the moment I am refitting the boat as I have been away working. When completed (just the paint needed now) I hope to cross the atlantic and maybe continue on around the world. But as the French say: it is controlled by the eternal war between time and money!
www.pipedream.me.uk

Hwy 72 damage in Alabama

Posted: 29 Apr 2014 07:44 AM PDT

Headed to the shoals for work and saw this on Hwy 72 this morning. It's a church. I feel bad for all the people who got hit.

A house off the side of Hwy 72. Hopefully the all got out safe.

Photos by Instagram user @ryanthoover

Extreme Arkansas Tornado Damage

Posted: 28 Apr 2014 11:02 PM PDT

This was the scene across much of the central plains states, as violent tornadoes impacted the states of Missouri and Arkansas.  I am a broadcast meteorology major at the University of Oklahoma. I was out storm chasing this Sunday, and made it to the May Flower storm just in time to see the damage of the deadly tornado. We had been watching the storm on radar, and it was showing significant rotation but still no tornado warning. That was one thing that surprised me is how long it took the national weather service to issue the warning. I am not insulting them, i am simply making an observation. Of course when we stop to get gas in May Flower they issue the tornado warning. We were luckily able to get out of there quickly, however we went back through the area on I-40 and got stuck in traffic right where the tornado passed. I got some picture of damage, and then went to help those impacted until emergency responders showed up on scene. One great picture i captured was of people helping pull rubble from a damaged building to get someone. I was on scene literately minutes after the tornado cross the highway. The entire area smelled of propane and moist wood. It was just such an extreme, and surreal scene to be there in person. I spoke with one man who was in the tornado, He was on interstate 40 and the tornado threw his truck across the highway. He said he flipped four times before finally coming to a stop.

Arkansas Rainbows

Posted: 28 Apr 2014 05:17 PM PDT

A double rainbow forms south of West Fork, Arkansas in the Ozark Mountains after a thunderstorm moved through the area on Monday, April 28, 2014.

My Deep Reaper FPV RC Plane

Posted: 28 Apr 2014 01:19 PM PDT

This is a photo of my 5-foot long, 6 lb, video-piloted remote control flying wing. The model of plane is a Deep Reaper XL, sold at http://www.crashtesthobby.com/deep-reaper-61.html. It is pictured here along with my ground station (normally mounted on a tripod) with the screen showing footage from a recent flight, and my RC controller next to it.

The plane is controlled from the ground via a live video feed, overlayed with GPS navigational data from an on-screen display. It has an approximately 10 mile range, and can fly up to several thousand feet above the ground. The average flight duration is approximately 30 minutes.

My favorite thing to do with it is take it up in the mountains and fly along high alpine ridges and skim down mountain sides.

To see the videos I have filmed with this plane, visit my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV.

Spring snow

Posted: 28 Apr 2014 09:10 AM PDT

Winter Storm dumps 12-15 inches of snow on Lead, South Dakota. Temperatures fell more than 40 degrees in a little more than 12 hours.