Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Magical Frozen Bubbles!

Magical Frozen Bubbles!

Magical Frozen Bubbles!

Posted: 04 Mar 2014 08:30 AM PST

Another blast of Arctic air follows the latest snow storm to hit Virginia, bringing frigid temps of just a single degree. I did a bubble experiment during the last deep freeze and had a lot of fun doing it, so of course I took the opportunity to capture these beautiful bubbles once again. Using the sun as a backdrop it highlighted the colors from the bubble solution, giving some of them a rainbow effect. Even managed to demonstrate just how cold it was by taking a pic of the bubbles freezing before they even left the wand! Absolutely magical to see in person and just as beautiful on camera!

No more suffering in silence

Posted: 04 Mar 2014 07:55 AM PST

Sex trafficking. Domestic violence. Teen prostitution. Rape as a tool of war. While these issues affect both genders, young girls and women in general suffer at a disproportionate rate. Across the globe, our collective inaction makes this seem acceptable. Our silence is compliance. I want to build a world where no girl or woman has to suffer in silence for any reason. In the 20 countries I have visited and even in the United States where I reside, I will do everything in my power to ensure that we end the silence to this crisis. That is why I chose this shirt, which I wear most times when I'm performing or speaking about this issue. Peace and freedom ARE possible and I am going to do my best to make this a reality for everyone on this planet.

Ukrainians Protest In Tokyo

Posted: 04 Mar 2014 02:28 AM PST

The Ukrainian community in Tokyo, Japan, gathered to protest against the Russian invasion of Crimea. There message was clear that Russia must remove its troops and that war should be avoided.

Frosty Fight on the National Mall

Posted: 03 Mar 2014 02:54 PM PST

More than 250 DC'ers braved the cold to attend (what we all hope to be) the final district snowball fight of the year. The DC Snowball Fight Association has been planning district-wide battles since Snowmageddon in 2010.

Snowy Cathedral

Posted: 03 Mar 2014 01:24 PM PST

Another beautiful snow storm covered Washington DC under a fluffy blanket of fresh snow.

Mickey Rooney is back!

Posted: 03 Mar 2014 12:43 PM PST

While age and illness may have slowed Mickey Rooney down, the bright light that Mickey Rooney was, still is, as Mickey Rooney will always be Mickey Rooney.

Mickey Rooney at any event, even a pre-Oscar event is something to celebrate as he has seldom been at any events for years.

Mickey Rooney is at work again as he is a force of nation, and during his lifetime nothing has kept him offscreen for long. Joell Posey caught up with Mickey Rooney and this question was asked at Roger Neal Style Hollywood Beauty and Couture Suite celebrating the 86th Academy Awards.

La GNB pone música venezolana y dispara gas muy cerca de los fotógrafos

Posted: 03 Mar 2014 12:33 PM PST

Varios heridos se registraron ayer en Caracas, durante los violentos enfrentamientos entre los manifestantes y la Guardia Nacional. En la jornada de enfrentamientos particularmente larga, la Guardia Nacional colocó parlantes con música venezolana a todo volumen, dirigidos a los jóvenes y, utilizó mayor cantidad de bombas lacrimógenas, en comparación a días anteriores, para dispersar la manifestación. La percepción de varios de nosotros, fotógrafos y camarógrafos, es que muchas de ellas eran peligrosamente dirigidas en nuestra dirección.

Black Bear makes friends with Drone

Posted: 03 Mar 2014 11:31 AM PST

While flying at our local RC aircraft club, a large Black Bear came out of the bush and was very curious about the multi-rotor helicopter that we use for aerial photography and video. At first he was cautious but would follow the UAV while continuing to look at it.

A few times I put the craft down in front of him with a GoPro Hero2 camera on it, to capture images while it flies.

I fly this by way of first person view, which is a camera on the heli that sends the picture back to me, while wearing a pair of goggles that displays the video.  This lets me pilot the craft basically from inside it, like a pilot would a real heli or plane.

First person view or FPV has thousands of uses from Search and Rescue to emergency service, which I'm involved in doing pilot test programs right now with.

The first couple times he came up to it on the ground, looked at it, but then kept walking.

Finally he got up enough courage to walk right up to it and sniff it, then he actually stuck out his claws and pawed it a few times, before draggin it a few feet across the grass.

At that point I gave it just idle rpm power and it scared him from any more tampering with the UAV.

Bear was not harmed in any way, he was so curious as to what it was, never seen anything like it before.

We saw him back at the field again days later, looking for his Quadcopter friend.
More videos like this, showing wildlife and scenery from a UAV on www.youtube.com/rcfreehold

Protest #2M Venezuela

Posted: 02 Mar 2014 01:36 PM PST

Students protesting today in Caracas against Nicolas Maduro

Colombo, where the heart lies

Posted: 01 Mar 2014 11:16 PM PST

I visited Colombo last November, on a brief vacation in Sri Lanka. The city is deeply historical and as a Tamil, I found that memories of the war live on in its people. I loved wandering into alleyways and discovering how a large part of the Sri Lankan population lived; some in poverty, others in luxury. It reminded me of India. However, I think the city of Colombo is now undergoing a deep transition - political and cultural - and I really hope that is for the better.

Another Jamaican drawn to snow

Posted: 01 Mar 2014 08:15 PM PST

Newton Marshall from St Anne, Jamaica leaves Anchorage, Alaska with his dogs for the 1,100 miles Iditarod trail. Talks about why he's doing it and how he'll stay warm.

The RAIN has arrived in California

Posted: 01 Mar 2014 05:13 PM PST

We had a Wonderful Big Storm arrive in California. It arrived for us in the high desert of SoCal on Friday morning early. I had a great time taking pics & video all day of the Rare Sight.

Since we are in a canyon on top of the mountain overlooking the town of Yucca Valley, we get a great view of the storm clouds when they DO roll in.  Sometimes we are in a 'white out' when the clouds sit right on top of us.  The first time I experienced this when we moved to town about 12 years ago...was a bit crazy...the city lights disappeared in an instant one night during a storm.

I was watching KTLA Channel 5 News in Los Angeles all day Friday & in one of the videos you can hear the newscaster describing the situation real time.
The storm is still moving East through the state and we have had only sprinkles most of the day today.