Saturday, March 1, 2014

Big protest meeting in Reykjavik, ICeland video and photos

Big protest meeting in Reykjavik, ICeland video and photos

Big protest meeting in Reykjavik, ICeland video and photos

Posted: 01 Mar 2014 09:24 AM PST

Today was a big protest meeting in Reykjavik ,in front of the Parliament building.
Men held speaches ,and demanded that the goverment keep it´s promise on holdig a nationa refferendum on the Europian Union discussions.
They even played on the PA system , when the Prime minister and the Financial Minister - Prime minister , mr. Sigmundur David Gunnlaugs and Bjarni Benediktsson , promised the national refferendum.
The weather was great - and people where angry -
More then 5000 people attended the protest today -
It was peaceful .

Putin will fail in Ukraine again!

Posted: 01 Mar 2014 08:19 AM PST

It's been 10 days since the most horrific events in Kiev. Ukrainians can hardly relax and celebrate as their ex-president Yanukovich, now wanted for mass murder of civilians, has resurfaced in Russia, claiming to still consider himself a president. That, of course, wouldn't bother anybody since only Yanukovich himself and President Putin still hold on to that crazy idea. But the source of real tension and concern is Crimea where Russian troops have pretty much taken over the whole peninsula. It's obvious that Putin is using the same scenario that he did invading Georgia in 2008. He just needs the slightest excuse to launch an aggressive attack. As is, Ukrainian military is not following Putin's expectations and hopes. There hasn't been a single shot made and it must be becoming harder for Putin to explain to the world what all his tanks, ships and troops are doing in Crimea blocking sea and land ways, paralyzing civilian air-ports and walking around with automatic weapons in the cities of Crimea. Ukraine is waiting for US and UK to speak up as they, along with Russian, are guarantors of independence and territorial integrity of Ukraine since 1994 when Ukraine has given up nuclear weapons.

Meanwhile the heart of Ukraine, Independence Square (Maidan) is still in the process of recovery from battles of last months. The streets are still a sea of flowers and candles, many people are openly crying. Others came today with shovels and trash bags determined to clean the soot, remains of burned tires, broken stones and other debris of the war. That effort had a lot of enthusiasm and energy, and in a way it was therapeutic! This past week many people commented on how hard it was to move on, to get back to normal life and work after what happened on Feb 18-20. But we are gradually picking up pieces and moving on. Most weddings in Kiev now find their way to Maidan as newly weds come to give their gratitude and give honor to the heroes of Maidan. There are artists and sport activities, musicians are playing on "revolutionary" piano that is standing in the middle of the street.

Reading articles on the web, opinions of experts, seeing footage of Russian soldiers occupying Crimea, it's easy to despair. But coming to Maidan, being part of dirty work of cleaning, observing creativity and enthusiasm inspires hope. The air of Maidan is highly concentrated with aroma of freedom and unity. Looking into the faces of people, grieving, crying, praying, working, talking, serving each other, I had a very strong feeling that my people can't be overcome. Putin will fail once again, like he already did several times when he worked through his marionette ex-president Yanukovich. God will grant Ukrainians victory over a great evil because like never before in 20+ years of independence and 70 years of Soviet regime Ukrainians are praying earnestly, asking God for forgiveness, protection and healing of their land!

Little Havana Continues to Support Venezuelans

Posted: 01 Mar 2014 01:59 AM PST

Car beeps are heard in the far distance and chants are echoed through the streets. A large group of Venezuelan revolution supporters gathered at Versailles in Little Havana. This area is known to attract protests and large groups when it comes to sports and politics, especially those of the Cuban community. You can sense the unity within the different latin countries in order to achieve the common goal of change, for freedom and democracy. Usually these political assemblies and protests are just a fad and dissolve quickly but this shows that the support is real and pure. It's history in the making and Little Havana and its people are making sure they're part of it.

NYC ICICLES - BELOW ZERO AND BEAUTIFUL

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 10:53 PM PST

Icicles. In Bryant Park Fountain. Tonight. Below zero and beautiful. – Jodi Kaplan

Another Toothless Threat?

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 05:29 PM PST

It is horrific that Russia is apparently invading Ukraine.

So far, thankfully, no blood has been spilled.

But  how long before troops on the ground, on orders from Russian President  Vladimir Putin, begin to not just take control of Crimea, a  semi-autonomous region which is majority ethnic Russian, but to forcibly  mount a campaign for the entire country to reclaim it as part of a new  Russian empire?

Late  today President Barack Obama took to the press room at the White House  to warn Russia not to send troops into Ukraine or "there will be costs".

But what costs?

Watching  Russian helicopters flying over Crimea and unknown armed, but clearly  organized militarily, men taking control of a Crimean airport and  surrounding a television station, the threat from the President rings  hollow.

Did  not the President warn Syrian dictator Bashir al Assad to not use  chemical weapons on his own people because this would cross a "red line"  which would invite dire consequences?

When the Syrian regime ignored the "red line", what happened?

Nothing.

Yes, al Assad agreed to get rid of his chemical arsenal, but he has already breached and continues to breach that agreement.

From the US Administration silence - no consequences.

Why would Putin believe that President Obama's warning is anything more than a toothless threat?

Putin  may be emboldened further when the former President George W. Bush, in  the waning days of his Administration, in August, 2008, stood by when  Russia launched a war on neighboring Georgia, which lasted five days.

Yes, Ukraine could appeal for help from NATO.

If the Ukrainian government does, what then?

Will  this President allow action or will he, as in the past, once more come  out and say he is still studying his options while Ukraine is grasped in  the clutches of a new Russian empire?

From the Cornfield, I am not advocating we send in American troops.

What  I am saying is that the President has lost all credibility of threat on  the world stage. His warning sounds more Chicken Little than a big  stick with the resolve to use it.

For  the moment, the best we can do is to pray for the people of Ukraine.  Relying on the Administration to take foreceful action is relying on  air.

Sadly  I am afraid now that the President has given his warning, the prestige  of US strength and might has been set up to once more be given a black  eye.

Drone Journalism

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 03:52 PM PST

I started using a small unmanned aerial system, or drone, which carried the even smaller GoPro HERO 3 camera for aerial photography to supplement my iReports and other projects. My first use of the DJI Phantom multirotor was July 4, 2013 just a few days after I received it to cover a large wildfire burning in the hills behind my neighborhood.

It was easy to use and the quality of my aerial photography keeps getting better the more I fly and the more I photograph. I am not involved in aerial photography for any commercial purposes and I am not employed by any news agency and I do not sell any of my aerial photographs so I can operate the UAS as a hobbyist. And right now I find it very rewarding to be on the leading edge of this technology.

Photo descriptions:

1. Photo of the DJI Phantom with GoPro camera returning from taking aerial photos of the Bison wildland fire July 4, 2013.

2. Aerial view of the Bison wildland fire July 4, 2013.

3. Photo of the Phantom at Caples Lake while taking aerial photos for an article on the California drought.

4. Aerial view of the low water at Caples Lake for an article on the California drought.

5. Aerial view of the low water at Silver Lake for an article on the California drought.

6. Photo of the author by the drone camera while operating it from a ground station at a remote location.

7. Aerial view of Heavenly Village, South Lake Tahoe, CA and the casinos at Stateline, NV for another article on the California drought and lack of snow at Lake Tahoe.

8. Aerial view of Heavenly Village and Lake Tahoe, South Lake Tahoe, CA for the same article on the California drought and lack of snow at Lake Tahoe.

9. Aerial view of the London Bridge, Lake Havasu City, Ariz.

10. Aerial view of the west end of the island, Lake Havasu City, Ariz.

Aurora Borealis over Corbridge, Northumberland

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 02:31 PM PST

I have lived in the North East of England for 23 years and I have never seen even a hint of the Northern Lights…until last night. I saw reports on Twitter of sightings as far south as Norfolk so at around 9pm I decided to climb the hill outside my house which overlooked the village to see if I could spot them for myself. I was greeted with a barely visible faint green glow on the horizon. I set my camera up for a long exposure and to my surprise this is what I got: The village in the photos is Corbridge.

Unfortunately I had given my sister my tripod to borrow for a trip of hers (typical), so I had to make do with a wall and the roof of my car.

The Aurora kept getting stronger and stronger. It was now easily visible with the naked eye. All of the shots were taken at 30secs, f/4, ISO 1600.
Some red streaks started to show themselves. These are glowing particles higher in the atmosphere and are much rarer than the green glow.
I couldn't resist a quick selfie.

There was a period of about 10 minutes when the sky was unbelievable. The sky just went crazy with red and green colours illuminating the whole of the northern sky. It got better and better.

It was an amazing sight and I got extremely lucky to be there when the Aurora was at its peak. It is probably a sight I won't get to see again around these parts so I'm glad I was able to grab a few shots.

The last 24 hours have been pretty crazy. I uploaded a few of my photos on twitter and one of them was retweeted by comedian Dara O'briain and it just took off. I then posted a different image on Reddit and that shot to the number 1 spot on the site. I wrote a blog which included all of my images and that received 50,000 hits within the space of only a few hours.

Asi Celebran el Carnaval en Venezuela

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 02:00 PM PST

Oposición de Guayana salio a celebrar la llegada del carnaval, no de la manera tradicional como estamos acostumbrados, pero en vista del descontento actual que se siente en el país, la caminata de casi 7k, estuvo llena de consignas contra el gobierno, gritos de esperanza, canto del himno nacional, alegría y a la vez tristeza, pero lo mejor, fue sentir un colectivo de personas que supieron llevar la paz para este encuentro tan lleno de color y calor al ritmo de los casi 180 mts. de Bandera tricolor.

Carnavales en Venezuela...

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 11:05 AM PST

Enviado desde mi iPhone

Aviones de Guerra sobrevolando Caracas

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 09:36 AM PST

Varios Aviones de guerra sobrevolando Caracas y lo que se escucha es la intercepcion de la conversacion de los aviones por radio

GNB atacando a los estudiantes

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 04:00 PM PST

La GNB obstaculizo la autopista negando el paso de los vehículos por más de 30 min, al liberar el paso de los carros como se puede apreciar en el video se puede notar la cantidad de funcionarios de la GNB y también como tiran las bombas lacrimógenas. Eso fue a las 3:00pm de hoy 27 de febrero del 2014