Monday, March 10, 2014

25 días de protestas en Venezuela / 25 days of protest in Venezuela

25 días de protestas en Venezuela / 25 days of protest in Venezuela

25 días de protestas en Venezuela / 25 days of protest in Venezuela

Posted: 10 Mar 2014 10:20 AM PDT

Por 25 días estudiantes y manifestantes en contra de gobierno han mantenido su protesta en Caracas, con confrontaciones diarias que ya se han vuelto rutina los manifestantes utilizan todo lo que esté a su alcance como barricadas mientras combaten con las fuerzas de seguridad del estado / For 25 days students and anti-government demonstrators have continued to protest in Caracas, with daily confrontations becoming routine as protesters use all that is within their reach to create barricades as they battle state security forces.

Escasez y desabastecimiento golpean a los Venezolanos

Posted: 09 Mar 2014 11:36 AM PDT

Largas colas para comprar alimentos, recorrer varios supermercados para conseguir productos, altos precios son situaciones cotidianas en las vidas de los venezolanos, cuando el país enfrenta una fuerte crisis económica y de gobernabilidad además de manifestaciones diarias en todo el territorio.

Protesta de ciclistas

Posted: 09 Mar 2014 10:56 AM PDT

Esta es una protesta de ciclistas que se registró el día domingo 9 de marzo de 2014 a las 10 AM en el municipio chacao de Caracas.

Datos de contacto:

Jesús roso

Teléfono: 0412-806.05.43

jesusaroso@gmail.com

South High Marathon Dance 2014

Posted: 09 Mar 2014 09:56 AM PDT

Every year for the last 37 years the small village of South Glens Falls, NY's high school comes together and dances the night away 28 hrs straight to raise money for area people in need and not for profits that need assistance! This past Friday-Saturday they did it again raising a whopping $583,015.44!! Way to go Bulldogs!!

150 Londoners on the Tube

Posted: 09 Mar 2014 09:45 AM PDT

In celebration of the London underground (The Tube) 150th birthday Freelance Photography Brendan Doherty spent over a year photographing Londoners as they travelled on the underground. From over 450 pictures his final 150 portraits, pictured in 150 tube stations have been on public display in Camden, North London at the Camden Collective.

Brendan did this project, as he has always been interested in portraiture, which was why he trained as a photographer and "…the underground is a place I've always been fascinated with, coming from North England it's quite an alien thing. I first came to London as a ten year old, I remember going on the tube and seeing all the characters and finding them scary, or dressed funny. I still love riding about on the tube, taking the long way round to be on it for longer. I wasn't really looking specifically to do something for the tube 150th birthday, it just happened."

There are 270 tube stops on the underground and Brendan had no firm plan of which 150 stations to take his photographs on so he spread out his work as much as he could across the network. He needed permission from London Underground to carry out the photo shoots but found them very helpful and supportive. However, the use of flash photography is banned on the underground so he enlisted the assistance of his friend Josh Kumra, a musician from Swindon, to carry and hold when needed a light reflector.

During my visit to the exhibit one of the portraiture subjects, 17-year-old Joey Goodman, came in and agreed to pose for me with his portrait taken at Swiss Cottage underground station on the Jubilee Line in July 2013. Joey told me he had just come back from working as an extra in a film production and the casting team had asked him to bring a spare pair of shoes hence why they are hanging around his neck in his photograph taken by Brendan.

In an interview just before the exhibition Brendan told the journalist "For me, photography needs to evoke some kind of emotion. In the gallery, visitors will have 150 strangers staring at them, it's going to make people feel something…" In my view this emotional connection was achieved in plenty and I'm sure Brendan has even more human-interest photography projects in the pipeline for the future and is, without any doubt, a photographer to watch.

Stop with the "Kids will be kids"

Posted: 08 Mar 2014 07:46 PM PST

Few pop culture events in recent memory have elicited more proverbial eye rolls, disapproving head shakes, and "kids these days" comments than Justin Bieber's DUI and positive drug test debacle. The teen pop star, who was caught drag racing in Miami beach under the influence of alcohol, marijuana, and Xanax, kicked off a storm of controversy as celebrities, fans, and even the First Lady voiced their views.

Beleaguered Toronto Mayor Rob Ford took time from his web of lawsuit entanglements to also weigh in on the Biebs's bad behavior. On the Washington, D.C.-based radio show "The Sports Junkies" he said, "Well you know what, he's a young guy…he's nineteen years old guys. Think back to when you were nineteen."

Mr. Ford also interjected some praise for Bieber's affluence in-between his age defense comments. "At nineteen years old, I wish I was as successful as he was," Mr. Ford said.

No doubt, Bieber stands at the helm of a wildly lucrative empire, and I don't begrudge his fame and wealth at all. In fact, I agree with Mr. Ford that it's admirable that, at such a tender age, Bieber's been able to make such an indelible mark on the modern pop culture scene. However, it's a sad state of affairs when attempts are made on the behalf of anyone to trivialize a DUI. Mr. Ford and others may offer age and affluence as explanations for Bieber's behavior, but neither of those things can excuse it.

I have not yet crossed the nineteen-years-of-age mark, so I am unable to follow Mr. Ford's recommendation of recalling the havoc wreaked by my nineteen-year-old self and then developing a newfound sympathy for Bieber. I am, however, able to imagine as a sixteen-year-old what I would want to transpire should I, heaven forbid, ever find myself in a tight spot like Bieber has. I wouldn't want justifications. I wouldn't want a pity party. I'd want a frank, raw conversation that would help me realize the seriousness of my offense.

Downplaying misdeeds, in whatever name or intention, is nothing more than a disguised disservice. This ever-prevalent societal sentiment that "kids will be kids," that teenagers are essentially bound to botch, muff, and muck up, is both harmful and hurtful. By perpetuating this notion that young people are programmed to stir up mayhem, society essentially gives them license to do so. If I'm wired to wreck, the teenage mind goes, then what good is it to even bother striving for something different?

Second, this "kids will be kids" attitude is yet another unsavory ingredient added to the stereotypical soup of youth. Show me one young person who has gone to the dark side, and I'll show you ten who are incredible trailblazers, activists, entrepreneurs, researchers, inventors, volunteers, and thinkers. I work regularly with fellow teenagers in a variety of service programs — ones that counter the illiteracy epidemic in America and ones that raise money for the victims of Typhoon Haiyan. I've seen my peers rally with hundreds of other students outside the California State Capitol for stricter enforcement of tobacco regulations. I've watched a friend persevere through the early arduous phases of establishing an online jewelry business.

So, when Mr. Ford expresses his give-Bieber-a-break remark, insinuating that Bieber's criminal activities are nothing more than what young people in Bieber's circumstance would be doing and are nothing more than what young people across-the-board are doing, no doubt Mr. Ford is simply voicing his opinion. But that opinion is emblematic of a larger societal problem of misrepresenting teenagers, something that I — along with the population of my supposedly precipitant, pococurante peers — lament is terribly unfair.

Marcha Las Ollas Vacías

Posted: 08 Mar 2014 06:33 PM PST

La GNB retrocede de inmediato por la presión de los manifestantes en la marcha

Uso excesivo de fuerza para marcha 8M en Caracas

Posted: 08 Mar 2014 03:01 PM PST

El 8 de marzo la Guardia Nacional tomó la avenida Libertador para formarse. En una hora (desde 12:30pm-1:30pm) se contaron 2 Ballenas, por lo menos 20 tanquetas y muchos guardias formados. La marcha se estaba dando más adelante a la altura de Las Palmas. Es importante destacar, que cada grupo de guardias tenían un extintor

PNB de cacería por los Palos Grandes ccs. 08marz 5:00pm

Posted: 08 Mar 2014 02:36 PM PST

PNB de cacería por los Palos Grandes ccs. 08marz 5:00pm

Let me tell you about the South Glens Falls Bulldogs, and why we are so great

Posted: 08 Mar 2014 02:24 PM PST

You may wonder what would make high school students gather in their school gymnasium and dance for 28 hours straight. If you are from South Glens Falls like me you know exactly why we fight the night and rock the clock. This small town in upstate New York may seem ordinary, but we are members of a community unlike any other. The Bulldogs have gathered every March since 1978 to dance and raise money for local people and charities. The students dance in one gym while alumni and volunteers entertain members of the community in other parts of the school with raffles, silent auctions, haircuts, and countless other ways to make donations to the dance. Everyone in the community gives, like my grandmother who knits dozens of blankets to put in prize bags given to the students who raise the most money. We all come together to become much more than ourselves. We come together to become the South High Marathon Dance.

In the past 37 years, SHMD has grown from a small dance with 50 members to now more than 80% of the school population participating. Each year the dance becomes even bigger and so do the totals. When I graduated from South Glens Falls Senior High School in 2008 we raised $245,141. Last year the students raised an astonishing $489,716. Right now I am in North Carolina watching my sister, Rachel Wentworth, dance on the SHMD live feed as a senior in her fourth SHMD. This year, the students are trying to raise more than half a million dollars!

The South High Marathon Dance is our weekend to come together and change lives. We dance to give back to the community that gives so much to us. We dance for current recipients as well as those past. We dance for people like Racheal O'Leary, a friend I graduated with who became a recipient of the dance when she was diagnosed with Leukemia at 20 years old. I still remember going back to the dance as an alumni and hugging Racheal at her last SHMD. As a dancer she gave to the dance, and as a recipient the dance gave back to her. People like Racheal embody the spirit of the dance and we feel their spirit with us in that gym even if they lose the battles we help them fight.

If you are still wondering what would get high school students to spend hours at their school on a weekend, to get them up on their feet and dancing, you can check out the website, shmd.org, and watch the live feed like I am. The Finale starts at 7:30 tonight and you will not want to miss it. But to truly understand the dance you have to check it out in person. If you are there to see the recipient names hanging in the hallways and the decorations in the gym, you will feel the beat of the music and the love that is SHMD. If you are lucky enough to be a member of this amazing community like I am, you know that we are the bulldogs, and the bulldogs are great!

Lilian tintori Marcha Caracas 8-3-14