Friday, February 14, 2014

The Messy Aftermath

The Messy Aftermath

The Messy Aftermath

Posted: 14 Feb 2014 09:23 AM PST

The storm has passed. It started out with a vengeance. About 8" of snow fell fairly quickly. Adding insult to injury, there already was frozen snow piles from previous storms.

Then it warmed up and changed to rain...lots of rain. What is left is a very slushy mess.

Today it's all about waterproof footwear and navigating puddles as everyone goes about their business.

More Snow Storm Chaos For Tokyo

Posted: 14 Feb 2014 02:00 AM PST

After last week's snow storm, Tokyo once again faces a severe blizzard.

Snowbound in East Tennessee Snow Storm

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 11:10 PM PST

Visiting my home town of Knoxville Tennessee from Maryland, I did not expect to be snow bound.
East Tennessee was slammed February 12th and 13th, as well as across the mountains and up the east coast. Travel to and from Maryland has been almost impossible the last couple of days.
It has been nice to be in the old home town sharing time with loved ones and re-tracing youthful paths.

Photography Janie Lambert
February 12 and 13 2014
Nikon D3100 and Nikon Cool Pix P500
Hughesville Maryland
Visiting Knoxville Tennessee

Eruption from Mount Kelud-Indonesia

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 07:52 PM PST

this picture shot in Ponorogo regency wich more than 100 kilometers from mount Kelud that erupted in 13 februari 2014 in 22.30 pm at local time. this eruption caused massive damage in agriculture, traditional market.

More Snow

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 05:57 PM PST

Today's snow fall

Summer yet?

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 05:40 PM PST

My son, Paul Bilardo, wishing it was summertime!

Snow, rain, snow... mess!

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 05:05 PM PST

Commuters in the northeast affected by today's storm. Originally predicted as a wintery mix of snow and rain turned into a massive mess in parts of Massachusetts. For me a 30min ride became a 3 hour nightmare as interstate 95 turned from a lonely snowy ride into a massive gridlock with cars spinning in the middle of the highway and sliding off the road in a matter of minutes.

The morning school rush in Brooklyn, New York

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 03:20 PM PST

Mayor de Blasio decided to keep NYC Schools open despite a pretty huge storm forecasted. Cars were stuck due to slow plowing of the streets in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Drivers needed help from one another to help move them along.

This is a time lapse video on Feb. 13, 2014 from 9-9:30 a.m outside PS 169.

More photos and videos:

Twitter: twitter.com/rickhodesigns

Instagram: instagram.com/rickhodesigns

Snowman at Capitol Hill!

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 03:12 PM PST

Snowman made at the Nations Capitol!! With more than 12" inches of snow

Day #2 of PAX over Raleigh, N.C.

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 02:38 PM PST

Birds-eye view of aftermath and day #2 of PAX over Raleigh, N.C.

Snowbro risks it for the troops

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 02:01 PM PST

Snowbro, an unlikely hero, risks his life to cook for military left out in the cold after Ft Bragg closes during winter apocalypse, Fayetteville, NC, February 13, 2014.

It’s Absolutely A Beautiful Day Out There. Or Is It?

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 01:38 PM PST

Not all New Yorkers agreed when Chancellor Carmen Farina of New York City said that, "It's absolutely a beautiful day out there," after facing some sharp criticism over her decision to keep NYC Public Schools open during a snow storm which covered the city under a blanket of white snow today. In Borough Park, Brooklyn students and their parents struggled to make their way to Public School 160 on Thursday morning.

Snowed-In Atlanta 2: Reflections of a New Father With Cold Issues

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 01:36 PM PST

About a week before the first Atlanta snow "incident," I was telling my mother in a phone conversation how I have re-acclimated myself to cold weather. "It's cool, I don't even really notice." My mother responded in disbelief . "You? Okay with the cold? I'm surprised," she said. "Doesn't bother me at all anymore." Maybe I was trying to convince myself.

You see, I am notorious in my family for hating the cold with a vengeance. I was born and raised in Nashville, TN where a deep scowl haunted my face even on summer mornings before the temp rose past 65 degrees. That being said, I really thought I had grown up and grown out of my serious disdain for cold weather. After ditching my car in the January 28th "Atlanta Snowpocalypse" and running home in the cold to complete my 7.5 hour trek, I still wasn't quite sure. But now that we're snowed in for a second time hoping the power stays on, there is very little doubt. The cold is not my friend.

To complicate this temperature sensitivity further, my family recently moved back to Atlanta, GA from sunny Southern California of all places. I know, crazy right? I had not truly been festooned in cold weather for almost a decade. Aside from the occasional Big Bear, CA trip where we once hot-tubbed in a 17 degree blizzard with our LA friends, the cold had become somewhat foreign. Not anymore.

In the midst of the second, evidently much more serious Atlanta weather "incident," I find myself constantly checking on things around the house. Towels under doors, first aid supplies, impromptu indoor fire pit, flashlight batteries, locked doors, blankets, hand warmers, prepped food, and the other million things that now come naturally. I remember my father walking through the house in the middle of the night checking doors, keeping the fire hot in our wood-burning stove, making sure that everything was in good order. Hearing him rustling around here and there in the house well after midnight always made me feel safe.

This night though, after all the "daddy-checking" has been done, as we wait for the power to falter, I'm sitting in our living room building my nightly sculpture out of wooden ABC learning blocks. The first thing our One-year-old does every morning is excitedly destroy the creation I built for him as he slept. I realize things could have been different. I could have been out of town for work. I could have been stuck in traffic overnight like many were during the first storm. But I'm not. Odyssey averted. I am very thankful to be right here with my wife and my son waiting for the cold to surrender.

Puerto Ordaz still under control by students

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 01:28 PM PST

On the second day of civilian protest against Nicolas Maduro's regime, the uptown commerce center of Puerto Ordaz, Altavista, remain under control of students. Commerce owners also adhered to the protest in support of nationwide situation. So far the police has taken no action against them

Mujer implora a la Guardia Nacional

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 01:27 PM PST

Av. Los Leones, Barquisimeto

Georgia Wedding cake made of snow!

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 12:45 PM PST

Owner of Melissa's Custom Cakes in Blairsville Georgia got creative with the excess of snow that fell this week in the Georgia mountains and made an awesome 8 tiered wedding cake out of snow! She gets the award for most creativity during this snow storm.
Melissa Babinec Roberts
706.781.1687

Drone aerial video of big snow flakes starting in S. Vermont.

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 12:01 PM PST

2pm, the storm that's been snowing on us since dawn just turned into really big flakey snow fall.

I take up my quadracopter drone (DJI Phantom) for some aerial video and also go into town to see what's up. Looks like a big storm!

Snow day at NJ

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 11:44 AM PST

Another idle day at home. I think, we should have a snow tire policies in NY, NJ, PA, CT to minimize the working hours loss

Snow Day for Washington D.C. College Students

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 11:41 AM PST

American University is closed today, and as the city scrambles to clean off the streets, students enjoy snowball fights, snow men, and no classes.

Manhattanites Iced

Posted: 13 Feb 2014 11:39 AM PST

Walking around East Broadway, watching snow turn into ice, covering the walkways and turning the empty streets into virtual skating rinks, I realized the dangers of traveling outside the day before the most "romantic" holiday of the year. Venturing further into the heart of China Town, I heard the sounds of ambulance and police sirens coming from every direction. People traveling by foot were falling down and cars were struggling to make it to their final destinations. Below are pictures documenting my journey.