Sunday, February 16, 2014

Misawa Snow Day 2014

Misawa Snow Day 2014

Misawa Snow Day 2014

Posted: 16 Feb 2014 12:28 AM PST

Snowfall of over 27 inches overnight Hits MIsawa AB Japan on Feb 16, 2014. This is just an idea of how much snowfall hit the northern part of Japan.

Half-naked runners take to the streets for children

Posted: 15 Feb 2014 10:02 PM PST

Valentine's Day weekend saw hundreds of runners in the 2nd Annual "Cupid's Undie Run" in Cleveland, Ohio. Raising funds for the Children's Tumor Foundation, they hope to find a cure for neurofibromatosis (NF). NF causes tumors to grow all over the nervous system of affected children and can cause blindness, deafness, learning disabilities and severe chronic pain. Presently, there is no known cure for NF.

Actress Ellen Page: "I am gay"

Posted: 15 Feb 2014 01:26 PM PST

Ellen Page spoke honestly for the first time in front of several hundred LGBT educators. She brought tears to the audience as well as a sense of pride. Check out my video with audience members who listened and hear their reactions.

"I'm here today because I am gay...

I am tired of hiding and I am tired of lying by omission. I suffered for years because I was scared to be out. My spirit suffered, my mental health suffered and my relationships suffered. And I'm standing here today, with all of you, on the other side of all that pain.", Ellen Page

I will be covering the Time to Thrive conference all weekend. Follow my adventures! www.twitter.com/morrowchris  and CNN http://ireport.cnn.com/people/ChrisMorrow

Marine sculpt flag raising on Iwo Jima

Posted: 15 Feb 2014 05:16 AM PST

February 14, 2014 -- Tim Lewis and Derek Reynolds, US Marines from Marine Corps Base Quantico, sculpted in snow in front of the National Museum of the Marine Corps the flag raising on Iwo Jima. It took them two days to complete the project.

They finished just in time as Iwo Jima Veterans and their family members arrived to visit the Museum to commemorate the 69th Anniversary of the Battle of the Iwo Jima.

The photo has gone viral on the National Museum of the Marine Corps' Facebook page: www.facebook.com/usmcmuseum.

Milwaukee Solvay Coke & Gas, Co.

Posted: 14 Feb 2014 05:01 PM PST

A little over a year ago, my friend Stephen and I drove to Milwaukee to explore the abandoned Solvay Coke & Gas, Co. The grounds were amazing. Multiple buildings. all condemned. One even looked like it had "booby-traps" set at some of the doors. The buildings had arsenic, lead, asbestos, and a whole host of other chemicals have been mixed into the ground and in the air; thankfully, we had masks.

History: The Milwaukee Solvay Coke Co. originally known as the Milwaukee Coke & Gas Co. started in 1906 during a time when coke was needed the most. Coke is a product used in the steel making industry and is one of the primary ingredients used in the BOF or Basic Oxygen Furnace. Coke allows furnace temperatures to reach the necessary 3000 F at which point iron begins to melt. To make Coke, which is what this company did, raw coal is fed into skinny tall slots that are the coke ovens. These ovens have no air in them which causes the coal to burn slowly. As the coal burns, many of the impurities within the coal get removed which makes the coal acceptable to use for steel making operations. After the coal has been 'cooked' it is now considered coke and is then ejected from the furnace hot & and steamy and is sent to the steel foundrys to be used. This process produced many by-products some of which were helpful, some of which were not so much. As the company's original name implies, Milwaukee Coke & Gas Co, the also produced gas- which came from the Coke. They produced differing fuel gasses, ammonia, and sulfates which were very useful to other industries. In fact, in Milwaukee Solvay Coke Co's best years, the natural gas they produced was used to heat most of the homes in Milwaukee.

(Source: http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.asp?fid=1&threadid=95814)

13,000-volt Light & Sound Show

Posted: 14 Feb 2014 04:33 PM PST

I took this video just after midnight near my house in Sparks, Maryland. The brilliant colors and sounds occurred when fallen trees grounded a 13K-volt overhead power line. The intermittent display lasted more than 3 hours. The power company restored power later in the morning. The trees will be heating my house next winter.