Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mega Snowman

Mega Snowman

Mega Snowman

Posted: 04 Feb 2014 09:49 AM PST

My brother and I decided to make a snowman on our day off. Since we had gotten a decent amount of snow...this happened.

Burger King Fire Copley Square Boston

Posted: 04 Feb 2014 06:19 AM PST

Burger King Fire Boston Boylston Copley Square footage

Chinese New Year: Year of the Horse

Posted: 03 Feb 2014 08:07 PM PST

Annual Chinese New Year parade in Chinatown, New York City, yesterday Sunday February 2, 2014.

I'd Like To Teach The World To Chill

Posted: 03 Feb 2014 03:13 PM PST

The minute I saw it I knew. Claws would come out. Vitriol would ooze. Social media would light up like the rocket's red glare. One of our nations's most iconic brands had given us an "un-American" commercial during the most American of events. After the Coke Super Bowl commercial aired, I expected the conversation that ensued. I did not expect the "my way or the highway" mentality of it.

How can an advertisement be so divisive? Are we so polarized that we immediately choose a side and hunker down at the mere hint of disagreement over… anything and everything? You are with us or against us? Some have the impression that everyone right of center collectively spit out their Coke at Super Bowl parties nationwide. I've seen plenty of conservative bashing in the media today. I've also seen conservatives come out in support of the ad and its message, and there are probably some liberals somewhere that didn't care for the ad. I hate to see a line drawn down the political middle where the assumption is that your opinion on everything will be identical to everyone else with whom you identify politically. Life is too complex and multifaceted for that. Most things are not black and white. They are fifty-thousand shades of gray.

I am married to an immigrant, now a naturalized citizen. Perhaps that is why I am not bothered by the idea of a patriotic American song being translated into languages spoken by others that make up our rich history. The words to the very song being fussed over celebrate those coming from other places in search of our nation's promise:

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness…

That said, I am not standing in judgment of those who say they are offended by the Coke commercial. The same way that approving of the commercial does not make a person anti-American, being put off by the ad does not make someone a simple-minded xenophobe. Another person's vantage point and life experience might bring them to a different conclusion about it. Perhaps their child attends a school where more and more of the students do not speak English. Perhaps they are worried that teachers must spend increasing time and resources addressing this, and they worry that their child has educational needs that might slip through the cracks as a result.

I, for one, welcome multiple viewpoints and enjoy healthy debate. I'm also a firm believer in voting with your dollars, so if the commercial offended you, by all means, go ahead and boycott Coke. Consider giving up soft drinks altogether and donate the money you save to a cause you believe in. You'll feel good to be positive and proactive instead of just angry and reactive.

In America, our convictions and opinions are as vast as our heritage. However, if we've come to a point where a TV spot can be a catalyst for spewing disdain for all who don't agree with us about it, then we, as a people, are in worse shape than I ever imagined. It might be time to step back and ask ourselves why sixty seconds during a football game can lead us to hate.

America! America!
God mend thine ev'ry flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law.

" Himalayan mountains" in Michigan!

Posted: 03 Feb 2014 02:23 PM PST

I love snow, especially when the snow is fresh; when everything's all white and beautiful in snow.

Sunny and 32 F today in Long Lake area today.

We don't need more snow . Nika stay away from Michigan!

These pictures were captured on 02-03-2014 in Long Lake area Michigan.

Di Etman.

Snow fun on the hudson river

Posted: 03 Feb 2014 01:21 PM PST

Quick take of my son reporting for CNN on the Hudson River in NYC

No more boots.

Posted: 03 Feb 2014 12:18 PM PST

NYC in the snow, again.

Allybeth reporting from Riverdale in the Bronx.

Lake Superior Ice Caves

Posted: 03 Feb 2014 08:50 AM PST

It was an eight hour drive to Bayfield, WI, and the ice caves of Lake Superior. For the first time in five years the lake froze over enough to walk out to the caves. It was a balmy 15F and, despite the two-mile trek to see them, people of all ages came out by the thousands to see Mother Nature's glorious winter gift.

*Photos taken by my daughter, Elizabeth.

Funny Broncos Loss Video

Posted: 02 Feb 2014 08:28 PM PST

Sung to the tune of "I Dreamed A Dream" from "Les Miserables."