Monday, December 5, 2011

Netflix will be Doomed by USPS Cuts

Netflix will be Doomed by USPS Cuts

Netflix will be Doomed by USPS Cuts

Posted: 05 Dec 2011 11:18 AM PST

Well, I knew it was coming, but I didn't know it was going to hit this hard. The Post Master General said due to the restraints Congress has put on this non-profit agency, it will have to cut back on delivery times for First Class, lay off 100,000 plus workers, and possibly cut Saturday delivery.

As I headed to my local Post Office, to drop off my Netflix DVD, I realized that this was going to hurt them. Now we all know that Netflix already messed up their own business by raising their rates tremendously, but for those that hang on like myself, I think this is their last straw.

I was obliged by my college course this fall, to watch several movie titles. I am able to find a couple of titles at my local library, but nothing rated R. So, I made a Netflix account, which had all the titles I needed, but most only by DVD and not streaming. I relied on the quick service that Netflix has through the USPS. I would return my DVD, they would get it the next day, and most of the time send out another DVD the same day. With the USPS making their cuts, that service will no longer be a luxury. By my calculation, where I could receive up to 3 DVD's a week, will be cut to one.

Netflix could use a different service, but more than likely their costs will rise. With quick DVD service being the only reason I am staying as a customer, will eventually cause my cancellation of my account.

What do you rely on most from the USPS?

Here is my iReport on lack of Saturday delivery:

Thank you.

Twitter: @HitsandMisses

Occupy DC: 31 arrests at barn raising

Posted: 05 Dec 2011 01:47 AM PST

WASHINGTON: DC:
Occupy DC participants raised a barn that they say was a community center to provide shelter during the winter months for "the 99%", or anyone that may have lost their home due to the economic recession. Because the city never granted a permit for construction of the building, police said that the structure had to be taken down. Un cooperative protesters were arrested, while five managed to climb the rafters and perch themselves on the unfinished roof, out of reach of police.
This dangerous situation promoted police to bring in a large armored truck and a much larger hydraulic cherrypicker. After a several hour standoff, police implemented a strategy to arrest the protesters safely.

Using the cherrypicker to get inches from the activists,, officers forcefully fitted safety harnesses onto the perched protesters one at a time. Once the harness was secure, the police brought worked to bring the protester into the small compartment that could be safely brought to the ground. Each protester was increasingly uncooperative, to the point where several officers had to hoist a limp body, using the harness to pull them up.
The entire act alarmed many onlookers, who chanted "THAT"S NOT SAFE! THAT'S NOT SAFE! " The level of danger required the full participation of the police force, as well as members from DC Parks and Recreation.

For video footage please see my youtube channel

or see live reporting from my twitter account

VOTING ABUSE IN MOSCOW

Posted: 05 Dec 2011 12:32 AM PST

TERRIBLE VOTING ABUSE WITNESSED IN MOSCOW
⎯ "VBROS"

Hugo Is For Fantasy Lovers

Posted: 04 Dec 2011 11:27 PM PST

Yes, Martin Scorsese's first 3-D Film is the best in the genre for FX since 'Avatar'. But I don't agree with many of my film critic 'buddies' on the movie itself - my grade is a little lower.

Now this picture is unique and original, and that was my favorite part. As for young children, the four way plot is too complicated for them in this reporters opinion. The story is very slow in parts, yes (lol) I did see a few in the audience fall asleep.

The film is a period peice set in 1930's Paris. In a huge 'central station' passenger train railway, a young boy lives there, he is to follow in his father's steps as a clockmaker and repairman. The old style mechanical analog machines that the two work on are also very interesting. No digital here, no sir. Will young Hugo be able to live on with his secret life?

But his father dies in a fire, and his mother was already dead. And this is where the subplots come in. There is the security guard with a war wound who is a mean man for sure. The grumpy owner of the station toy store has a secret past. A young girl becomes his friend. And what about the link between the toys and the movies - and there is that point made about the orphanages of the time...

One item that was not brought up in much of the pre-marketing and previews with this picture is that this is actually also a dedication from Scorsese to the silent film era, from the late 1890's to the 1920's - before the great movie stars, and the golden age of the talkies. Again, I did find this part interesting.

Some casual - and younger filmgoers - may find this movie a little boring at times, but over all it is a nice peice. And can you beleive it? A Scorsese Picture that is not a Mob Movie!

Grade: B

Christmas Lights at Candy Cane Lane

Posted: 04 Dec 2011 10:56 PM PST

Every year, the Sleepy Hollow section of Torrance dresses up for Christmas and becomes Candy Cane Lane. A large segment of the residents go all out with the Christmas decorations and for the month of December the streets are lined with cars and pedestrians, and the sound of Christmas music with the smell of hot chocolate and cookies waft through the neighborhood. This is great fun for the entire family.

If you want to see a great neighborhood Christmas display, load up the car and plan to spend a couple hours in Sleepy Hollow. My easy to follow directions can be found at http://www.gotbaddog.com/how-to-get-to-sleepy-hollow-for-candy-cane-lane/

You can see all my photos from this year at http://www.gotbaddog.com/christmas-lights-torrance-ca-2011/

Hermain Cain is Out!

Posted: 04 Dec 2011 10:26 PM PST

Well the GOP Field shrinks by one amid the media sensationalization of the sexual harassment allegations. Only Ron Paul stood up for Herman in this instance to say that too much attention was given causing great pain and hurt to not only Cain but his loved ones. This is why alot of Cain's supporters are now backing Ron Paul despite the media's best attempt to say they are now backing Newt.

Cover-up, it's cold out there!

Posted: 04 Dec 2011 09:36 PM PST

After an unseasonably warm November, Western Colorado is finally feeling the chill of oncoming winter.

Thousands Flock To NYC Tree, Skating Rink

Posted: 04 Dec 2011 06:22 PM PST

It's beginning to look a lot more crowded in midtown Manhattan.
On the first weekend after the lighting of the 2011 Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, massive crowds invaded the Plaza between 49th and 50th Street to catch a glimpse and a photo of the tree.
Hundreds also waited in line for a chance to ice skate in one of the world's most famous rinks.
Due to the large crowds, the NYPD was forced to set up barricades in several ares to control the flow of pedestrian traffic, and parts of 50th Street were closed to vehicular traffic, becoming a temporary car-free zone..
The sidewalks of Fifth Avenue were a people parking lot.
Here are some pictures taken on Sunday, December 4th at Rockefeller Center in New York City.

Croatian Parliamentary Election 2011

Posted: 04 Dec 2011 03:41 PM PST

The Croatian Democratic Union (HDZ), which was in power for the last two terms and which is responsible for Croatia joining the European Union, lost an elections on 4th December 2011.

On the photos you can see protesters (lighting candles) that came to "say goodbye" to Croatian Democratic Union. In the last year they had anti-government protests all around the country and now they are satisfied with their defeat.

On the other photos you can see soon to be ex President of Croatian Government and member of Croatian Democratic Union, Jadranka Kosor, going to the rally.

Egyptians march carrying symbolic coffins of Mohamed Mahmoud martyrs

Posted: 04 Dec 2011 10:40 AM PST

On December 2, protesters marched from Mohamed Mahmoud square to Tahrir square carrying symbolic coffins of Mohamed Mahmoud martyrs.

Re-Occu Fest, Portland OR, 12-3-2011

Posted: 04 Dec 2011 06:11 AM PST

Occupy Portland marched on Saturday afternoon to a new park in downtown Portland. Though tents, food stations, info tables, a sound system, and power point presentation were quickly set up upon arrival, the occupation only lasted a few hours before police moved in to break up the camp.

Home to Knockanarroor

Posted: 04 Dec 2011 02:08 AM PST

Home to Townland Knockanarroor, Ireland

Near Killarney

County Kerry

Project Overview
This is a video project of my journey back home to my family's roots in Knockanarroor Townland, located just east of the city of Killarney in County Kerry, in western Ireland. Knockanarroor, pronounced "knock-on-a-roar", is an unmarked dirt road where my grandmother's family lived at least until 1840s, before the Great Famine in Ireland starting in 1845. (There are several spellings of Knockanarroor, so I am using the spelling from the 1911 Irish census.)

It is becoming increasing popular for descendants of immigrants in the United States to search for the origins even when they have few details, a century or more after their ancestors left their "old countries" in Europe or other lands. There are more resources available to the public as records become digitalized and available online.

My family was part of a Catholic colony settled in De Graff and Murdock in Minnesota, about 1876. Minnesota was poor in jobs during that time, but not in land. Land was set aside for the poor and homeless immigrants to move to in Swift County and make their livings farming. To this day, my family continues to farm the land my ancestors acquired.

Like many immigrants, my family left Ireland not by choice, but most likely out of a need for survival. A photo of my great-great-grand mother, Ellen Brennan Foley, was found this past winter in a pillow case with enough details to guide me to Ireland, after a short search with my handful of hints.

In April 2011, I travelled "home" for the first time known to my family to the precise location my Irish ancestors lived, worked, worshiped and made their living in a townland described by the locals as a "poorish land" of rough ground, surrounded by bogs.

More videos will be published during December 2011.

"Murder, She Wrote" creator Peter S. Fischer discusses his career and Angela Lansbury

Posted: 03 Dec 2011 07:10 PM PST

Screenwriter turned Author Peter S. Fischer discusses his career, the creation of "Murder, She Wrote", Angela Lansbury, " Columbo" and his new series of novels "The Hollywood Murder Mysteries". Mr. Fischer wrote his first novel, "The Blood of Tyrants" in 2009.